We have a farm here in South Georgia. I enjoy walking through our woods. Since I have my camera back again, I decided to stroll through the woods and take a few photos along the way.
I continually find myself looking up.
The bay trees reach toward the clouds.
I noticed a pine tree (below) that died years ago.
It was a Southern Yellow Pine.
There is great danger involved in felling it.
It is likely to fall into pieces before hitting the ground and injure or kill the one who is cutting it.
It was a Southern Yellow Pine.
There is great danger involved in felling it.
It is likely to fall into pieces before hitting the ground and injure or kill the one who is cutting it.
My husband cuts trees all the time, but a tree like this one is very dangerous.
He is still contemplating how to get it down safely.
After an old pine tree has fallen, the stump that remains can be fat lighter.
We dig up the stump and break it into splinters or small pieces of wood.
This wood is exceptional for starting a fire in a fire pit or fireplace.
This is a photo I took of a fat lighter stump.
We have scads of these on the farm.
We dig up the stump and break it into splinters or small pieces of wood.
This wood is exceptional for starting a fire in a fire pit or fireplace.
This is a photo I took of a fat lighter stump.
We have scads of these on the farm.
There are many wild creatures that inhabit the pond on our farm: ducks, alligators, beavers, and more.
The dratted beavers are adamant about working...building their dams.
We tear them down, and they build them back before the next morning.
They are relentless....and it is impossible to rid the pond of them.
Below is a photo of a tree that the beavers have chewed.
It is amazing how much of a tree beavers chew and destroy.
I am sad when I see damage like this.

The dratted beavers are adamant about working...building their dams.
We tear them down, and they build them back before the next morning.
They are relentless....and it is impossible to rid the pond of them.
Below is a photo of a tree that the beavers have chewed.
It is amazing how much of a tree beavers chew and destroy.
I am sad when I see damage like this.

This tree was damaged years ago and has begun to repair and heal itself.
I continued my walk....
Here is an old corner post of a fence that my husband's father put up decades ago.
I think it was a railroad cross tie.
It has weathered, and I found its coloration lovely, so I wanted to share it with you.

Here is an old corner post of a fence that my husband's father put up decades ago.
I think it was a railroad cross tie.
It has weathered, and I found its coloration lovely, so I wanted to share it with you.

Here is something else that my husband's father contributed to the back woods decades ago.






30 comments:
I never heard of fatwood before, so I looked it up. More common in the Southeast. It burns hot and sooty. Not good for cooking, but great as a bug/mosquito repellent. It's neat to learn new things.
Hey, I've got an idea for felling that Southern Yellow Pine. Build a metal cage around the stump. Trap a pesky beaver, and release him into the cage at the base of the tree. With any luck, you'll kill two birds with one stone.
You're so keen to observe those colors. Great eye, Jackie!
Hi Craver. Great idea about felling that tree and killing the beaver too!
Clever fellow, you are!
Thanks for the smile, my friend. You always bring me many.
You helped me see beauty in common things today. Great pics.
Thank you for walking with me, Parsley! :))
Oh man, I love the 46-48 Ford. What a tribute to the Farm. That is a work of art in progress. Great tree shots. I just took the container out of the motorhome this summer we used to carry our fat lighter in. Once my BIL took a couple pieces to some youngster who were trying to start a fire in S. Dakota. It amazed them. He came back smiling, I taught them something'.
Love the entry, thanks for the invite to go along.
Hugs from central Florida...
I didn't know you lived on a farm in southern GA. I can see the Spanish moss. I didn't know that trees could repair themselves. I didn't know that trees could fall and splinter and kill some one. I guess I learned A lot today! Thanks. Loved the walk.
Jack...I was thinking that was a 48 or 49 Ford, but I couldn't be sure. Thank you for letting me know!
Fat lighter is such a good kindling...and it can be shaved into very small pieces and used quite effectively. Water doesn't seem to keep it from burning. It's good stuff!!
Hugs right back to you, my neighbor in central Florida!
Glad you enjoyed the walk; wish you could join me in person one day. We'll take a stroll together. Some research says that trees heal themselves and others say that they seal themselves. It is amazing to me that they can do either.
Yes, that pine that has been standing for that long won't necessarily come down in one piece. If cut with a chain saw, it is likely to wobble from the top, break, and fall straight down. Even hooking a chain or rope and pulling it to the side to keep it from falling won't work. Those old trees like that are dangerous to cut. Timber cutters will cut it with their machines, but that is pricey. I'm for letting her stand right where she has stood for years and fall at her convenience. Whaddya think? :))
What a wonderful visit, Jackie! Thank you.
Up here, if you tried that, you would up to your knees (maybe your waist) in snow. Not recommended.
That old pine looks grand. Left on it's own, it will come down eventually. Just hope your grandchildren are not near-by when that happens.
And aren't those Beavers something else! We have lots of them up here. Those dams are excellent for crossing water; they will easy carry a couple of people. You could almost drive a tank across, except the dams are a bit narrow for a tank.
Blessings and Bear hugs.
Back to hibernating now.
Bear...so glad you took off your snowshoes and walked with me for a while.
I'm with you on leaving the tree to fall on its own. The Grands won't be near; the tree is deep in the woods on the farm.
Beaver dams are amazing...but I don't like the critters that build them. They are nuisances beyond words.
Blessings to you, Bear.
Happy hibernating. So glad you came out to pay me a visit. It's always nice to see you!
Great shots Jackie. I'm so glad you got your camera back. Love that old truck.
I've walked past that old truck a million times, Cindy. It's strange that I've never stopped to photograph it until this past week.
I'm glad that I have my camera back, too, my friend.
Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog.
Quiet and peaceful place to walk (until that dead pine falls!). AS for our ornaments, some of those pictured are glass. We also have wood, cloth, plastic. And for my reflection, that is me, but the bright spots are the under cabinet lights in our kitchen.
Thank you for sharing your woods, with us!!!
Believe it or not, there are people who would restore that vintage Ford truck! ,-) And pay you money, to come and take it away, to do so.
Happy 12/12/12...
I love old things in the woods, even old junk cars.
I just realized: When I take a walk in the woods, I'M an old thing in the woods :-)
That truck is really pretty now! Your pictures are wonderful and took me right there next to you. Thanks for sharing these with me. And Happy Twelves Day! :-)
Lew, I have an affection for old glass ornaments, and that's why I noticed and commented on the photos of yours.
The walk was quiet and peaceful, and I pray that it remains that way. Thank you for sharing it with me.
My pleasure, Auntie sezzzzzz...
The old Ford truck looks beyond repair to me! It has seen younger and better days.
I hope that you have a lovely week!!
Jim...clever realization!
By the way, your cake is out of the oven. It should be on its way to you today.
Merry Christmas, my friend.
Happy 12-12-12 to you, Jan.
I hope that you are enjoying your week and am glad that you are feeling better.
Take care of you, my friend!
Fantastic finds on your walk, my dear friend.
Thank you Stewart.
Warmest hugs to you and your dear wife.
I'm so glad you came here today!
Thanks you for taking us for a walk in South GA. I love looking up too when I am out, Never know what one will see. Ah, the old ford I would have to bring to my yard and use parts to run clematis and other vines over it as it is a work of art. Love old rustic equipment. Peace
I'm happy to have walked with you today.
I'm sure that you could take the old Ford truck and make a work of art out of it!
Smiles and hugs to you!
Hello Jackie! I have been missing in action! I just caught up on about 6 of your posts! I promise I will be better and keep in touch more often. My house looks like the Christmas decoration elf threw up in it LOL honestly it is loaded this year. I just keep adding to it too! I need to stop or else the Christmas decoration police will arrest me lol. I love the beauty of the decorations at Christmas it just makes me smile all the time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of the boat. I did update my header picture but not all my Christmas decorations. Have to figure out how to download them from my phone. Something is messed up on my computer. ARGH. Talk to you soon! hugs...
I love your photos of the trees and stumps and the old truck! I'd love to walk with you through your woods.
Hello Linda Lu...Where have you been, girl? I've missed you.
I laughed at the elf "helping" you decorate for Christmas.
Knowing you, your place looks fantastic.
Thank you for the visit. Good to see your smiling face!
Hi Pat... I love the same things about the photos that you do.
We just enjoy being outdoors and looking at the wonders of nature (and old trucks!)
:))
Glad to have you join me for a walk, my friend.
You brilliant selection of objects to photographed was only surpassed by your skill of taking photos. I loved this!
Sally...your comments lift my spirits more than you know.
Thank you so much!!
I'm glad you loved this.
Hugs to you!!!
Post a Comment