I have posted a photo of this plant on my blog before, but I thought that some of you who love to attract/photograph/watch birds (especially hummingbirds) might like to see/hear more about the bottle brush. It is hearty, drought resistant, easy to maintain and inexpensive to buy.
We went to a Tallahassee, Florida, nursery this past week and bought two more of these plants for Mama. She loves them and loves birds and butterflies...so this is a must have for her.
The flowering part of the bush looks a lot like an old-fashioned bottle brush.
This flower appears on the bush, spring, summer, and fall. Hummingbirds LOVE it, and when you walk by it, be prepared to duck and move among them. They will be prevalent...fighting to get to the flowers. If you've never had an abundance of hummers and want them, get this plant. You will have them.
I took these photos this week...
I smiled after I took this photo thinking that you could find the hummingbird.






18 comments:
Oh wow! Love the photos!
What beauty and fantastic capture of the bird, wonderful photos my friend.
I found that wonderful hummingbird right away - what a beautiful catch! sandie
Beautiful photos Jackie. You are right, it does look like a bottle brush!
Found 'em! What fine pictures, and I love them all. I wonder if that plant grows well in my part of the world. I'll check it out. :-)
Beautiful!!!
But if it is so happy, living down South, it probably wouldn't winter-over up here.....
Ah, Highlights. That was the best part of visiting the doctor's office.
Fun pictures! I like hummingbirds, and I think this is my first time seeing the Bottle Brush plant.
Wow!!! Amazing photos Jackie. Beautiful shots of the bush and the little hummers. Excellent captures.
Hugs,
Cindy
I just loved the hummingbird in the fourth photo! You can really see the speed with which it beats it wings.
Great pictures, as usual. We love hummers and have always put out the feeders. Might just have to check out the bottle brush plant. Thanks for the suggestion. - Karen
I need some of these bushes. I found the hummer . Peace
They are expensive indoor pot plants over here!
Magnificent photos........
Lots of Love,
Maggie x
Nuts in May
The photos are just beautiful. So that' called a Bottle Brush Bush? We need to replace one in our yard, perhaps I'll have to tell Abe to look for a Bottle Brush bush. The color is so bright and cheerful.
I love hummers, and will investigate to see if bottle brush grows here. Gardening Daughter has sighted hummers in her yard, and brought me a new feeder. It needs to go up this week.
Thanks for your kind words re: Sweetie Pie
Jackie, I'm sure I'll notice the missing trees Thanks for the warning! We're going to be there sometime between the 15th & 27th. I can't wait. Hope all is well and that you are enjoying your N.C. time. ♥
If you'd be interested in meeting up in Waynesville, give me a call at 260-438-2367. Maybe we can figure out a time, if you're still there. That would be SO fun.
The colors in your photos here are gorgeous. I especially like the blue sky. It is SO grey here.
I went to Montana a few years ago and was absolutely SWARMED by a tiny squadron of hummingbirds. It was hilarious and beautiful.
Pearl
I found him, I found him. I wonder if this would grow in British Columbia. It is so unusual and pretty I would love to have one.
Thought these were only found in Australia.
Post a Comment