Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Little Things


I went walking about...enjoying the beauty of approaching fall.
The temperature was lovely as were the days and evenings.  We left the humidity, hot weather, mosquitoes and love bugs behind in South Georgia and "headed for the hills" of western North Carolina.

I sat on the deck...watching the sun set behind the mountains and became aware of an amazing thing: there wasn't one mosquito buzzing around me.

Not one!!

There is no way we can sit outside like that this time of the year in South Jawja because the mosquitoes will NOT allow it. They absolutely swarm us, and I had gotten so use to being "run" inside by them just before dark, that when I was able to sit out and take in the sunset...and not swat and hit and swat again....that I felt I was in a heavenly place.

It's the little things that mean a lot to me.


I think the thing I enjoy most about being in those mountains is the peacefulness....the quiet.
It's hard to put into words, but if you have a "peaceful" place that means a lot to you, I know that you understand.

I did a lot of walking about...and as I did, I took a few photos. I will share some along and along on my next few blog posts.  No "WOW!" photo. Nothing like that.

Simple photos of things that make my day happier.

Like the flower.  It isn't pristine any more; it's wilting and losing its petals....a sign that fall is approaching. I could feel it in the air and see it on almost everything that still had blooms. 

It's the little things....





15 comments:

Lori E said...

It is the little things or lack of them like the mosquitoes. It has been so warm here in the evenings we haven't had many mosquitoes around but the wasps have been terrible.
It usually doesn't take much to make me happy that is for sure.
Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Robynn's Ravings said...

Indeed, Jackie, it IS the little things. Just something that might not mean anything to someone else can make our whole day. My little BIG thing today was your very special prayer on Vicky's blog. You said it all.

The flower is beautiful and we are LONGING for fall here in California. Hoping to feel the temperature drop next week and maybe a cooling breeze?

So glad you found your peaceful place and didn't have to battle the critters just to sit outside. Enjoy, sweet Jackie.

LilliStJohn said...

WOW - no mosquitos - that would be the perfect end to the day. We have black fly's here and they come in spring and leave in the fall. I hardly ever go out of the house unless I have a few dabs of home made repellent on - they are still around, but not biting.
Looking forward to seeing your photos. I like that you took the photo in its "fall" condition. Most people would not bother - still, there is beauty within -Eh. Have a wonderful day.

Unknown said...

Definitely the quiet, peaceful places are what I enjoy too. I love those NC mountains especially, and so glad you had the 'get-away' time.

DJan said...

I know what you mean about appreciate the little things. I look forward to your pictures, Jackie. You are such a good friend! :-)

jack69 said...

You are so right. Seeing things like the flower starting to wilt or fade, but you know what it WAS. Oh I thought of something the other evening, I grabbed a fabric softener sheet, rubbed my neck and arms with it and put it in my shirt pocket and I was not bothered by the mosquitoes. I heard that from a fellow hiker, but it was the first time I got to try it.
Oh yes and there was the song by Kitty Kallon, "Little things Mean A Lot". good read. Thanks.

Maggie May said...

Glad you had a lovely, peaceful time with no mosquitoes biting.
They seem to find me very easily when I go abroad. I get covered in bites.

Yes...... its the little things that help in life and mean so much.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Patty said...

The little things are the best things.

We spent most of the afternoon, with our oldest daughter Angela (Angie), her husband (Gary) and their 21 year old son (Alex). His birthday was Aug. 27th. but with their busy schedules, moving and all, we didn't celebrate it until today. His three aunts, Becky, Melinda and Melissa were also there along with two cousins, Noah and Audrey. Angela wanted photos of each of us holding fake sunflowers, then they all decided to go to a place where they have a small patch of small sun flowers and snap a few photos.It seemed to take forever to drive there and usually it seems faster traveling back home, but today it didn't seemed as long if not longer, but perhaps that's because Abe and I are getting older and older. Glad your week-end turned out great.

My bruised head is slowly getting better. It was three weeks ago this past Wed. I fell backwards on the patio and hit my head on a little wooden bench.

tainterturtles said...

Peace and quiet? I totally understand. I found my peaceful moments in the Chequamegon National Forest this weekend. Woke up in the morning to Loons calling out across the lake, it's such a beautiful sound.

Hilary said...

Little things do indeed mean a lot. And I beg to differ about the WOW photos.. that flower is pretty WOWie to me.

suz said...

Hi Jackie. Add my voice to the chorus of appreciating the small things in life. And the photo of the fading flowers shows there is beauty in all ages if you know how to look. Thanks for sharing. - Karen

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jackie: I feel that serenity while on the boat. There are only two things that can effect this calm. A photographic opportunity or oops I have a bite, have to get busy.

heritagemom said...

Hi, Jackie! Thanks for visiting my blog. That flower is so pretty; what lovely autumn colors!

Lady Di Tn said...

The flower looks as happy as you sound. Peace

Craver Vii said...

Vicariously enjoying your refreshing day in the mountains. But just for a moment, and then it's back to work for me!