A fellow blogging friend (Jim) (here is the link to his blog) has kindly agreed to share this logo with all of us (his friends)....and I am assuming that he designed it himself. I think it is "cool"....and it shares a message in which I believe. Thanksgiving comes before Christmas.
Thanksgiving should be a holiday celebrated for just that: giving thanks. It's not a day to get good buys on "stuff" for Christmas. The best Christmas gift has already been given anyway. That is Jesus Christ. Come on people!! Has the true meaning of our holidays been forever lost to marketing?
We drove by Best Buy the day before Thanksgiving last year and saw the tents, the campers, the lines and lines of people waiting to get in for Black Friday to save a buck (or twelve.) I shake my head.
So, I join Jim in displaying this badge on my blog.
I also pledge not to shop in any of the stores that are open on Thanksgiving.
"Retailers facing pressure from tepid holiday sales forecasts and fierce competition for shoppers’ dollars are planning to open earlier than ever for Black Friday, with even more opening on Thanksgiving Day itself.
J.C. Penney, Macy’s and Kohl’s have all announced plans to open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving for the first time this year. They’ll be joining Target, Walmart, Kmart, Sears and Toys ‘R’ Us, which all opened at 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day last year to start their Black Friday sales.
'They’re fearful if they don’t get to the wallet early they’ll lose out,' said Bill Martin, founder of Chicago-based retail tracking company ShopperTrak. 'I think it’s unfortunate. It extends the holiday so far in advance we forget what the holiday’s about to begin with.' ”
Charlotte Observer.com
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
"A few small online petitions had started by Tuesday, such as “Thanksgiving Comes First,” on Facebook, which had 190 “likes” as of Tuesday."
Charlotte Observer.com
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
"Thanksgiving Comes First" is a Facebook page that Jim has also started.
It would be wonderful if you would go there and "like" it if you are on Facebook.
Just type in "Thanksgiving Comes First" in the search pane on Facebook.
Feel free to take the logo above...and share it.
Love,
Jackie
Thanksgiving should be a holiday celebrated for just that: giving thanks. It's not a day to get good buys on "stuff" for Christmas. The best Christmas gift has already been given anyway. That is Jesus Christ. Come on people!! Has the true meaning of our holidays been forever lost to marketing?
We drove by Best Buy the day before Thanksgiving last year and saw the tents, the campers, the lines and lines of people waiting to get in for Black Friday to save a buck (or twelve.) I shake my head.
So, I join Jim in displaying this badge on my blog.
I also pledge not to shop in any of the stores that are open on Thanksgiving.
"Retailers facing pressure from tepid holiday sales forecasts and fierce competition for shoppers’ dollars are planning to open earlier than ever for Black Friday, with even more opening on Thanksgiving Day itself.
J.C. Penney, Macy’s and Kohl’s have all announced plans to open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving for the first time this year. They’ll be joining Target, Walmart, Kmart, Sears and Toys ‘R’ Us, which all opened at 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day last year to start their Black Friday sales.
'They’re fearful if they don’t get to the wallet early they’ll lose out,' said Bill Martin, founder of Chicago-based retail tracking company ShopperTrak. 'I think it’s unfortunate. It extends the holiday so far in advance we forget what the holiday’s about to begin with.' ”
Charlotte Observer.com
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
"A few small online petitions had started by Tuesday, such as “Thanksgiving Comes First,” on Facebook, which had 190 “likes” as of Tuesday."
Charlotte Observer.com
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
"Thanksgiving Comes First" is a Facebook page that Jim has also started.
It would be wonderful if you would go there and "like" it if you are on Facebook.
Just type in "Thanksgiving Comes First" in the search pane on Facebook.
Feel free to take the logo above...and share it.
Love,
Jackie

14 comments:
Thank you, Jackie.
Just to be clear, the logo/badge came from a FB page called "Say No To Shopping On Thanksgiving". It's a good one, and anyone who likes the sentiment of keeping Thanksgiving for family should go there (as well as my pages, thanks!).
A good idea. Yes, families need the special time. Many will not use it but some will. I like the idea of shops being closed on special days. Most folk can always arrange for the necessities.
I would like to go to Chic Filet on Sunday, but I am glad they allow their help to be hope on Sunday, so Imma not fussing. LOL
Good one jackie... U B SWEET!
Years ago I heard of "Buy Nothing Day" but the idea never grew legs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day
I think about all the people that are abused verbally and mentally by their employers. The Walmart across the river just laid off all their long time employees - you guys know the story of Walmart and their slave labour to bring you cheaper goods - the business giants don't care if YOU don't shop on Thanksgiving or Christmas - they want the buck.....and yet, people go to those stores in droves because they just don't care. I like the button your friend made and believe in it, but you will never see a greedy business magnet sporting one. As far as I know there is only one store closed here on Sunday - the DAY OF REST.
KENTS - owned by the great Irving Family - The Irving Empire in Canada and round the world closes the door on Sunday - My Dad was Olde Mr. Irving's handyman at his house in Saint John and I think the family still value Dad's thoughts on Sunday n other holidays closing the doors and sending family home to be with family.
I never shop on Black Friday, so you don't have to worry about me! Who would subject themselves to that? And you're right: the people working are not having time with their family.
I am too familiar with the pressure. I left a job I loved because they were convinced that I needed to be there on Sundays. I will not do any shopping on Thanksgiving. I hope the retailers can find a way to turn a profit without acting crazy.
I just saw this on FB. Thanks Jackie, I will take it and run with it. lol. Blessings (ps. BTW Thanksgiving dinner is at 3, no shopping, just food and football, which I put on FB with the logo, lol.)
As you know, we don't have Thanksgiving but I suppose its the same way we feel about Good Friday. Just come from Suldog's.
Maggie x
Nuts in May
Hi Jackie! such a long long time! I am trying so hard to keep up! I came across a beautiful post card you sent me from NC a couple of years ago. I have kept it ever since and think of you often. Hope all is well in your world and that you mom and dad are well. love and lots of hugs....linda
A great thing to see friends band together for a good cause!
Jackie: It is a sad day when all days become about making money. Thanksgiving was a more special day when we were young.
We obviously don't celebrate Thanksgiving over her, but I subscribe to the sentiment.
My sentiment for years for any shopping too close to Holidays and now the Greedy retailers are opening on the Holidays themselves. The only way to stop them is to agree with Jim. I still do not like 24 hours shops and opening on Sundays. Back when shops were closed we planned ahead and it seems the I want it NOW attitude has taken over. Peace
Like this idea. A good way to say that everyone has a right to be with their family on that particular day.
Post a Comment