Friday, November 22, 2013

What'll Y'all Have

The World's Largest Drive-In

The Varsity
(across the interstate from Georgia Tech ~Atlanta, Georgia, USA~)


And apparently we are there at peak time. Go figure.
I stood behind this crowd of folks with my Nikon....and decided that it didn't look so "fast"
to me.  Yep. That's the line.

We don't stop at the Varsity often.
When we do, we get the same thing: chili dog, onion rings, and Frosted Orange.
Yumm.
 (The Frosted Orange tastes exactly like the old-time Dreamcicle (if you remember those.)
 We decided to go to the "curb parking" portion of the restaurant.
We were served immediately.
Delicious!!

I took this photo from the Varsity's parking deck....(Olympic Tower ~ Olympic Games, 1996)

As we were leaving the Varsity, I shot this from the car window. (Georgia Tech visible on the left.)

44 comments:

Rob-bear said...

Fascinating photos; intriguing place.

Blessings and Bear hugs!

Sparky said...

Varsity Restaurant was featured on a food show on Discovery not too long ago (can't remember the name). Apparently the Varsity has been there for 'ages'. Looks like a nice place. Hope y'all had a good meal. ~:)

jack69 said...

Very interesting entry. Never heard of the Varsity, but then the last time I was in that area we visiting my cousin Ken Herron who was in his 2nd year at Tech. in 1958 I believe. He even lived on Peach tree street. As far as I know that was the only way to get thru Atlanta then.

Of course Ken is very proud of Ga Tech. He is running for a House seat from the 14th district.this year and he is oldetr than I. He says at least if he gets elected he won;t have to worry about re-election, he will be tooooo old.

Love ya lady, the pictures are very good, and thanks for jogging some memories.....

Jackie said...

Thank you, Rob. It is a busy place for sure!

Jackie said...

Yes...Varsity has been in Atlanta for a lonnnng time.
We always enjoy the chili dogs and onion rings there!!

Jackie said...

Jack...you can't miss it. It you are on I-75 headed north, it is on the right-hand side of the interstate (directly across from Georgia Tech.)
Hope your cousin gets elected, my friend.
So happy to see you here....always.
Hugs,
J.

DJan said...

Now that's what I call a LINE. Great pictures, and I'm glad you shared them with me. Remember to take some time for yourself in this busy week ahead. :-)

Jackie said...

A line, indeed, Jan.
Thank you, my friend. I will; I appreciate the advice. I will take it.
Hugs,
J.

LilliStJohn said...

Gee, that's quite a menu - chili dogs, onion rings and frosted orange sound real good to me. It sure was a beautiful day to take photos and really nice window shot of Georgia shot and that beautiful building on the right. Wow, that's quite a building.

Jackie said...

Saucy...that skyscraper has always reminded me of the Empire State Building for some reason.
I love to see it at night, too..... A beautiful sight to this country girl.
Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments.
Love,
Jackie

Rick Watson said...

The Varsity is a popular place. My Atlanta office was a few blocks away and I've eaten there many times. Atlanta is a fun city.

Jackie said...

How nice to know that your office is so close, Rick. You work in a beautiful city!!
We pass through there often.
Smiles to you,
Jackie

Maggie May said...

That queue would definitely put me off. I'd go for something less popular that could be served quickly..... like a pasty or a sandwich.

Maggie x

Nuts in May

Lady Di Tn said...

It has been a long time since I stopped in Atlanta. I have driven through a few times since I stayed at the Peachtree Plaza Hotel. I remember thinking as I rode the glass elevator on the outside of the building, that I would never stay this high up again. Now for that drink, if I had lived in Atlanta when I was pg with Puppy, well I would have lived at the Varsity as I craved anything orange. No I would not consider that fast food. Peace

Jackie said...

Maggie....is dissuaded us, for sure. We stood there long enough for me to get some photos, and then we went to the car and pulled around to the "curb parking" portion of the restaurant. Someone came right away, put a number on our windshield, took our order, was off and "running"....and was back with our food and put it on a tray that hooked to our side window before I could even turn around to find him again. It was amazing!
Sending you and Harry much love.
Jackie

Jackie said...

We don't usually stop, either, Lady Di. But we do travel through Atlanta many times during the year. Peachtree Plaza. Ahhhh....The glass elevator ride. I've taken that. What a view!!! Beautiful view....and quite a ride. Burt Reynolds made a move that featured that elevator (if my memory serves me correctly.)
And...you would have LOVED the Frosted Orange. You still would. If you get a chance, stop and give it a try. Delish!!
Love,
Jackie

Ceil said...

Hi Jackie! So good to see you again! You have been busy :)
I love these shots, and I have never been to Atlanta before. You are intrepid, waiting all that time at the food place. I would walk away in disgust! (so impatient..) But it sure sounds worth the wait.
The photo of the Olympic Torch is so cool!! I love Olympic Time, and my husband and I are always glued to the TV coverage. I would love to have seen that.
Thanks for sharing your awesome day!
Ceil

Sally Wessely said...

You are right. That did not look too fast. Wow, what a place. Nice intro to a place I've never been.

suz said...

Great shots. And like you, I'd have gone for the curb parking. And I've always like those Dreamsicles, so I'll be dreaming of those chili dogs and onion rings to go with it. sounds like a gourmet dish to this country girl. glad you are enjoying life. - Karen

SandyCarlson said...

That looks like a fun place!

Jackie said...

Sally....when I saw the size of the crowd and the length of that line, I just rolled my eyes and said, "No way." Paul agreed. We drove to the curbside portion and enjoyed a good lunch.
So happy to see you here this evening.
Love,
Jackie

Jackie said...

Hi Karen. Great minds think alike. You and I have the same thoughts after seeing that crowd.
Dreamsicles...uhmmmm. I have always loved them. I have the best memories as a girl getting dreamsicles at the country store. The Frosted Orange is so much like it in taste. You will have to try it! You'll love it.
I'm a country girl, too, Karen. Love it!
Sending you hugs and love,
Jackie

Jackie said...

Sandy...It is a fun place; we don't stop there often. Actually, we don't stop in Atlanta often at all. As we are driving South Georgia to North Carolina, we always go through the heart of the city. We've found that it is actually quicker to drive through Atlanta than it is to take the perimeter around it.
So good to see you here.
Love,
J.

Jackie said...

Hi Ceil. Knowing how almost every flight in this region of the country ends up in Atlanta before the final stop, I have smiled and said that when the Lord comes back, He will probably come through Atlanta. :)) It is a major hub for airlines in the USA, and I do enjoy driving through the city.....especially at night. The lights are so beautiful to me.
I always enjoy your visit here with me.
Great big hugs to you....
Love,
Jackie

Hilary said...

That sounds like fun... and yummy.

Jackie said...

Seeing Atlanta is always fun to me.
Country girl goes through the city. :)))
Love to you, Hilary....
J.

tainterturtles said...

A frosted orange? I've never had one, but it sure sounds tasty. Thanks for the photos. I drove through Atlanta 2 1/2 yrs ago in morning traffic and I was scared to death!

I could use some of your warm weather right now Jackie.

Jackie said...

Lisa... continue enjoying the winter you have. Yours is a winter wonderland to me. Simply beautiful!!
How about a warm hug since I can't send you my warm weather! :))
Hugs a bunch, Lisa.
Jackie

Anvilcloud said...

What a revelation! It's hard to fathom such a lineup for fast food.

Linda said...

We have been there, when we visited GA Tech.(looking at colleges)--not a expensive place to eat. Thanks for sharing. Blessings

Eddie Bluelights said...

Interesting places and photos, Jackie. As I was looking at the skyscaper, Beethoven's Fifth Symphony 1st movement blasted frpm the radio and highlighted its magnificence.
Nice to return to one of my favourite blogs, hosted by a lovely southern gal. \\\wish we could have some of your warmer weather - my genes tell me I am in the wrong country!!! Need more warmth. Hugs ~ Eddie

Jackie said...

My thoughts exactly as I looked at that line.
I looked at it.... looked around. Looked behind me. Then, I looked at that line again.
I couldn't believe it. Where ARE those people coming from??
Then, I saw the caravan of buses on the parking deck as we made our exit.
Warm smiles,
Jackie

Jackie said...

So, the photo of Ga Tech was a glimpse of a place you had been before.
I've never been on Ga Tech's campus, but do hear a lot about their football team! :))
Hugs to you, Linda.
Love,
Jackie

Jackie said...

Hello my friend. Well, if you were in the company of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony tonight, you were in excellent company. Perfect song for the "rise" of the skyscraper in the photo. I smile.
I do hope that it warms up for you, Eddie. I have a feeling this winter may be a rough one for those who are in the regions of the country(ies) that experience a colder one than we do here in the Southern USA.
Sending warm hugs to you and yours.
Always a hug for you, my friend....
J.

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie.
These photos are awesome. Great job! I love traveling, miss our trucking years, which is one reason I enjoyed these pics so much. Seeing that long line put a smile on my face, brought back some wonderful memories. Thanks for visiting Let's Chat. Have an awesome day.

Craver Vii said...

What a crowd! That reminds me of the 50's & 60's themed McDonalds in Downtown Chicago. Just keep reminding yourself that patience is a virtue. Beautiful photography!!

Jackie said...

Hi Barb. I imagine that you do miss traveling. I bet that you have seen some beautiful areas of our country.
It is lovely to see you here at my blog, and I do hope that you and yours have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving.
Sending hugs to you.
Jackie

Jackie said...

Craver...The crowd was one of the largest I've ever seen waiting to get hot dogs and onion rings. Really. :))
Patience is a virtue.
Patience is a virtue.
(And we didn't wait on that line, so I guess I'm gonna have to work on that one.)
Thank you for the visit (always)...and thank you for the kind compliments.
Hugs and great big smiles for you and Chrissy.
Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.
J.

Rebecca said...

What an experience!
(We've been eating a lot of meals out lately - just seems easier somehow....but never have encountered such crowds as this!)
You didn't put a return address on the sweet card...and I'm not sure I have it. Email me at gatesmc@juno.com will you, please?
Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness. YOU have a good Thanksgiving, too, OK?

Jackie said...

Rebecca....since we've retired we eat out a lot more than we used to. And we eat out every supper meal (dinner for folks who don't live in the South who are reading this) when we are in the mountains. We don't EVER encounter crowds like this. Ever. It was so amazing to me, that I had to take the photo. I wish I would have taken a better one, but I was actually embarrassed to be standing behind all these people taking their photo, so it is what it is. :))
I will send you an email, Rebecca. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Love,
Jackie

Suldog said...

I remember seeing that place featured on a PBS show called "A Hot Dog Program" (I think). A Happy & Blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Jackie said...

And a blessed Thanksgiving to you and your family, Jim.
Smiles from here to there.
Hugs,
J.

Lori E said...

Those prices are soooo low. No wonder there is a line up like that. You now have me craving a cold, frosty orange drink.

Jackie said...

I thought the prices were reasonable, too, Lori.
So good to see you here.
I hope that you have a wonderful week.
Hugs and love,
Jackie