Friday, January 3, 2014

Fun on a Cold Day

Husband and I spent the day at Wild Adventures.

Wild Adventures has GREAT rides (higher/faster/more coasters than Six Flags Over Georgia and so many animals and attractions to see, as well)....and the wonderful thing is that it is only about 3 miles from our home.

Here are a few photos that I took today. (At one point on one of the roller coasters, Paul said, "I don't think you are supposed to be taking pictures. I think you are supposed to be holding on!"
He is right. But if you are a photographer-at-heart like me, you can understand that my camera and my camera bag go practically everywhere with me....even on roller coasters. (Sometimes I have to "sneak" the bag on board....  Just sayin'.)

The two of us spent the afternoon and evening acting like "kids."  Yep. We are older (63)....but we are still young at heart and enjoy being together and having fun. (It was the coldest day of our winter...but we bundled up and enjoyed the day.)

Enjoy!

P.S. I put the captions below my photos.


This is one of my favorite coasters at Wild Adventures.
This baby takes you upside down, sideways, and....well, it is aptly named: Twisted Typhoon


This is the Geronimo Sky Coaster
I have not ridden this one.
It is 190 feet high and is similar to bungee jumping.
Not even gonna go there.
(But I did enjoy taking a photo of it this afternoon.)



I love this one, too.
It is called Tailspin. It spins and rides on a rail at the same time.
Hard to explain...but fun to ride!

Oh Yes!
The Ferris Wheel.
Safe....Relaxing....Fun
I took this one across the water.
The Boomerang is on the left (love that coaster, too)
The Aviator is in the center, and the Tailspin is on the right.

Do you recognize a portion of this ride?
It is what we used to refer to as the Scrambler.
Rode it a couple of times today.

Husband's favorite part of the park: Go Cart Track.
(See the blue cart on the far left. That was mine today. The one on the bottom right was his.)
He spanked me. He lapped me!
(Mine was apparently a "Grandma cart."  I'll get him next time!)


Rode this today.
Not an "upside down coaster" ....but was a lot of fun.

Didn't ride this today (the Aviator) but I enjoyed taking photos of those who did.
So many rides....so little time. Sigh.

The sun was setting as I took this photo.
The temperature was dropping (it is supposed to be 28 tonight) so, I packed my camera in the camera bag and we said "Goodbye" to Wild Adventures for today  (and probably for the season.)
It will reopen in the spring.
We will return.

If you are interested in a link for the park, I am including it here: http://www.wildadventures.com/

Hugs and continued wishes for a wonderful 2014.
Love,
Jackie





42 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

My head is spinning and my tummy is jumping just looking at these. Wow!

Jackie said...

Oh Sandy. You would have LOVED it! I don't like to be dizzy on rides (I don't like merry-go-rounds!) but these are super fun. Thank you for your kind visits here at Teacher's Pet.
Hugs,
J.

tainterturtles said...

A low of 28 degrees? Oh my friend, that balmy. I figured the Arctic air would reach Georgia very soon. It's going to be a cold 4-day stretch here in Wisconsin. Nice photos Jackie.

Jackie said...

Twenty-eight is bitterly cold here. You have to remember that we've had the air conditioner on through much of December. So, 28 is "stay inside" temperature, here.
I'm glad that you like the photos, Lisa. I thought the sky and the clouds were so pretty today.
Warm hugs to you.

jack69 said...

How sweet for you two Kids to get out and act like newly weds. Love the pictures, but my speed was the Ferris wheel or maybe the go carts. LOL Glad you guys can enjoy this together, Wonderful with the capitol W.
Thanks for taking us, but............ methinks, yeah the Ferris Wheel!
Love from down here where it is 43 and is supposed to be the lowest.

Jackie said...

How sweeeet for you to refer to us as kids. I love that!
One of the first rides we rode was the Ferris Wheel, and it was one of the last ones too.
Something quiet and soothing about it, and it gave us pause to reflect on the nice time we had.
So glad that your temperature is moderate. It is "unseasonably" cold here tonight. Brrrrr
Hugs to you, my friend!

LilliStJohn said...

Aah the good ole roller coaster- first time held on for my life and after that soooo much fun. Sounds like you kicked the New Year off RIGHT , eh :)

Unknown said...

So glad you had a fun day and your pictures show it! I am not a rider of rides, but happy for those that are. Have a nice weekend.

DJan said...

I had no idea you liked roller coaster rides. These do look like fun, Jackie. Glad you had someone with a little sense along with ou! :-)

Rick Watson said...

It's been too long since we've been to Six Flags. I only live a few hours from there west of Birmingham, Alabama.

Pat - Arkansas said...

WOW! You are a lot more adventurous than I am. I have been on two roller coasters in my whole life. 1958 at the Dallas Fair Grounds, and 1980, Space Mountain, Disney World, Orlando. I would have thought I had learned my lesson in 1958, but no! Space Mountain nearly took my head off! I spent most of the trip holding on to my neck/head instead of the bars. Never again.

Loved your photos.

Jackie said...

Saucy...I agree. Fun to the max!
Yes, we kicked off the new year with fun and laughter.
Thank you so much!

Jackie said...

Linda...the forecast for our weekend is "cold"....but it's about time.
We've been too warm during the winter months. Time for some brrrrrrr. :))
I hope that you have a nice weekend, too.
Hugs,
J.

Jackie said...

Jan...They are fun. I can't ride the ones that I really used to love to ride....the big wooden ones.
They hurt my back now. That used to not be a problem, but...alas, I'm older now.
Yes. Hubby is the sensible one of the the two of us. Love that!
Hugs to you,
Jackie

Jackie said...

We used to love to go to Six Flags, Rick. We would drive to Atlanta just to do that.
Now, we just drive 3 miles from the house.
Still....a lot of good memories at Six Flags over Georgia!

Jackie said...

Pat...I've been on that coaster at Space Mountain. I think I saw your fingerprints on it! :))
Much fun....but the apprehension of it was a lot more scary than the actual ride itself, wouldn't you agree?
Sending you hugs and love,
Jackie

Maggie May said...

You are a braver person than me to go on all those things (except the bungee!) Wouldn't do my vertigo or my disc problems any good at all!
I'm young at heart though! And I have an imagination. That will have to suffice!
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Linda said...

That looks like so much fun. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Blessings

Jackie said...

Maggie....I am young at heart, but my body is saying, "Better slow it down, girl." So, I'm careful as to what I ride any more. I used to be afraid of roller coasters (and elevators)....not so, any more. Just don't have the bones and the younger body to endure the rides like I used to.
I know that you are young at heart, my friend. You have such a sweet and tender heart, too.
Love you,
Jackie

Jackie said...

Linda...It was fun. It was fun being out and about with my husband, and it was fun taking photos of those screaming people on the rides. Loved it all.
Hugs to you,
Jackie

troutbirder said...

Oh my. That does look like fun. I'm a kid at heart and would love it but Mrs. T. is subject to panic attacks in high places and overlooks so we avoid them. Our middle school used to take classes to an amusement park for an end of the year reward day so before I retired I got to join them on the rides...:)

lime said...

i love amusement parks but i have to admit i can no longer tolerate the spinning rides i used to love so much....not if i want to keep lunch down. sounds like a fun day though!

Jackie said...

I'm just like you; I don't like the spinning rides. I can't take them....literally.
I can't even ride the merry-go-round in our backyard any more (it is there for the Grandchildren.) It makes me sick.
It was a fun day....!!
Hugs to you,
Jackie

Stephanie said...

Hello Jackie! I came across your lovely blog while visiting another blog :) Your photos are stunning and so full of color - makes me feel like I am there at the amusement park with you. I am a happy new follower and I look forward to visiting again. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Jackie said...

Stephanie...how absolutely wonderful to meet you. I'm so glad that you came to visit.
I love to meet new friends, and what a lovely blog you have! I enjoyed my visit there, as well.
I'm so glad that your move went well, and I look forward to touching base with you again soon.
Warmest hugs to my new blogging friend.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

These are all wonderful and the explanations are fitting. I suspect this place is similar to our King's Island and you park and pay an entrance fee and then can ride anything you want to ride and are willing to wait in line for.

Suldog said...

Looks like you had a load of fun, Jackie. Nothing better for staying young than acting young and doing young things! I'll have to remember that when I get old ;-)

suz said...

Great gobs of gopher fat, what a day for the both of you!! And the pictures are wonderful (as usual, for you are a great photographer, my friend). My son and grand daughter absolutely love any kind of roller coaster and I will have to let them become aware of the rides in Georgia. Keep on rolling, you two. - Karen

Lady Di Tn said...

Wow two kids in adult bodies. Sign me up for the next trip. Oh well, I am sure my back would prevent me having TOO much fun but I could get a rush watching others. Peace

Julie said...

You got some beautiful shots Jackie and I think that's the best way of experiencing these rides ;-) I used to ride the waltzers but I'm a chicken when it comes to Ferris Wheels and Coasters. Sheesh! Well done you!

Jackie said...

Thank you, Abe. That means a lot to me.
I haven't heard of King's Island, but I bet they are much the same. Yes. Pay to park each time (unless one has a pass that parking has been paid for on)...and then ride (almost) anything you want to ride and willing to wait in line for.
The Go Carts are extra (unless one has the Gold Pass)...and Putt Putt Golf is extra (unless one has the Gold Pass)...but pretty much everything else is paid for with general admission.
Parking is around $10 a pop, so we decided to go ahead and get the Gold Pass...and then hubby can not only not pay to park each time, but he gets to ride Go Carts all day and evening if he wants! :)) (And he usually does want to.)
So happy to see you here.
Take care of you and Patty. Stay warm in this frigid upcoming week we as a nation are about to experience.
Warm smiles to you, my friend....
Jackie

Jackie said...

Remember....I've done the math.
I know your age.
I won't say anything else (cough.)
We did have fun, Jim. It's over now (closed at 7 P.M. today until spring)...but we will go back in the spring.
I understand that it might get a bit chilly in Bawwwston .... Just a little rumor I heard going around.
Stay warm, my friend.
Hugs and smiles to you and Your Wife.
J.

Jackie said...

Karen....I had to sit down and laugh at that one.
LOVE the "great gobs of gopher fat"....gonna have to steal that one!
Thank you, sweet friend. I appreciate your compliments regarding my photography skills (or perhaps I should say "lack thereof"...) You made my evening.
Do tell your son and Granddaughter about those rides at Wild Adventures. A day pass is not that expensive....and I think they run specials on two-day passes, too.
Sending you lots of love, Karen.
Jackie

Jackie said...

Lady Di...I will sign you up for the next trip. You just let me know when you are in the area, and we'll go together. You don't have to ride anything. It is much fun watching others. Call me.
Love to you,
Jackie

Jackie said...

Hello Julie. I'm going to have to look up "waltzers"....I think I know what you are referring to, but not positive.
I love it that we have different words to express the same ideas. Love your language....love it!
Thank you for the compliments regarding my shots. I love the colors of the rides....the atmosphere of the park itself. I couldn't capture it with my camera the way your husband could have with his. He is such a great photographer, but I am trying.
Thank you, Julie!
Hugs and love,
Jackie

Jackie said...

I smile because I tricked my Hubby to get him on the Tailspin. Actually, my granddaughter and I tricked him to get him on it.
I don't think he'll be riding it again, either....but it was much fun to ride it with him at least one time.
When I taught middle school, I used to chaperone groups to amusement parks, too. I look back now and think, "What was I thinking!" :))) ....but there are a lot of fine memories from those days.
I retired in 2005 from full-time teaching, but I worked 49% for 3 more years after that. Finally, put away the chalk (smiling as I type that...'cause we both know that chalk went out a long time ago in most schools)....but I put away the chalk and haven't looked back. Hubby is a retired educator, also.
So good to see you back here.
Sending you smiles and hope that you all stay warm this coming week. It's even going to be cold down "here" in South Jawja...so, I know it'll be cold elsewhere!
Smiles,
Jackie

Chatty Crone said...

Is that near the animal safari in Pine Mtn. GA? I have heard of it - I will have to look it up - Six Flags is so expensive and crowded. I am glad you has so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie said...

No....This is at the Valdosta/Lake Park (Georgia) area (near north Florida.)
Six Flags is much fun, and this theme park, in my opinion, is better.
Thank you for stopping by, Chatty Crone. Always so good to see you!
Hugs and love,
Jackie

Craver Vii said...

I would definitely have more fun taking pics than riding the rides. Your shots are vivid, colorful and FUN! 28 degrees... Oh for it to be that warm again. We're in sub-zero temps now. But anyway, I loved your warm photos!

Jackie said...

Thank you Craver....
The temperature has dropped considerably since I posted those photos and we are staying inside and staying warm through these next few very cold days. I hope that you and yours stay safe and warm.
Always so good to see you here, my friend.
Warm smiles to you,
Jackie

Anvilcloud said...

You are brave to take your camera on board. I hope it's a compact. I would do this with my DSLR.

Jackie said...

I love taking photos... :))
The park is closed until spring, now, so I will have to wait a while to get some more from there.
But...there are so many photo opportunities available around.
Hugs,
Jackie