Admiral Richard Conolly
National Archives # 80-G-82331
National Archives # 80-G-82331
Daddy shared a story from his days aboard ship in WWII with me this evening.
It is lengthy, and I hope that you don't mind staying with me for a few minutes so that I can share it with you.
When Daddy was 16, he joined the Navy not long after Pearl Harbor was bombed.
He was a seaman on board the ship The USS Appalachian.
The USS Appalachian was the flagship for Rear Admiral Richard Conolly (Amphibian Group 3 in the Pacific.)
Daddy is and always has been a hard worker...industrious and honorable.
He was working on board the ship in the carpenter's shop (as a seaman but hoping to earn his rank as 3rd class Petty Officer and get a stripe on his sleeve)....and he said that the phone in the carpenter's shop rang and he answered it.
It was a Marine who was calling on behalf of Admiral Connoly. The Marine who called identified himself (Conolly was always surrounded by Marines on board ship) and wanted to know if there was a carpenter that was available. Admiral Conolly had a project he needed done. Daddy was the only one in the shop at that time, and he said, "Yes Sir!" and he said he "high-tailed" (Daddy's words) it up to the deck on which Admiral Conolly was and knocked on the door. A Marine opened the door, and Daddy told him who he was and that someone had just called down to the carpenter's shop and said that the Admiral needed a carpenter. (Remember....Daddy is a Seaman....striking to be a Carpenter's Mate...but not yet a carpenter's mate.) The Marine knocked on Admiral Connoly's door, and Daddy said he heard, "Come in." The Marine motioned Daddy through. Daddy said, "I stood there and was about to be addressed by the Admiral." (I'm sure Daddy was humbled. I could tell by the way he was telling me the story tonight.)
Admiral Conolly said, "Hello lad. I need something built. I need to ship these home and I need something built to ship them in. Can you do that?"
Daddy looked over on the admiral's bed and saw 4 Japanese sabers. (Daddy said they were adorned with jewels and were beautiful sabers.)
Daddy said, "Yes sir. I can." He had brought paper, pencil and measuring tape, and he said that he took meticulous measurements of the sabers.
He said, "I'll take care of it for you, Sir."
He then raced back downstairs to the carpenter's shop and began working on the wooden box that would house the sabers. Daddy said he picked out the best wood from the racks....worked on the box with care...and made sure the box was perfectly made...went and found some green felt to line the box....(the kind of felt one might see on a pool table)...glued the felt in....sanded the box...and built and sanded a top for the box. It had taken him nearly all day to build it, but it was finished.
He went back up to Admiral Conolly's quarters, box tucked proudly under his young arm.
He knocked on the door. A Marine answered. He admitted Daddy to Admiral Conolly's office. Daddy gave him the box.
Admiral Conolly put each sabre in its place. Daddy had made it so that each one had its own spot and wouldn't move or get damaged in shipment. The Admiral stood back, and Daddy said that he could tell that he really liked it.
He asked, "Lad. You're a carpenter's mate?"
Daddy said, "No Sir. I'm a Seaman....but I'm striking to be a Carpenter's Mate."
"Fine job, lad."
Daddy said that less than 30 days later he received a promotion to 3rd Class Petty Officer.
He had earned his stripe!
I think about this story and think back to how many things had to happen for Daddy to have gotten his stripe. He was in the right place at the right time. He had to be willing to be a go-getter. He had to be willing to work hard. He had to do a good job at what he put his mind to, and someone had to have noticed and taken action. Without any of those things, Daddy wouldn't have gotten his stripe.
As he was telling the story to me tonight, my heart was so happy for him. Seaman would have been fine with me. My Daddy was the best seaman there was. I just know it. The next ranking was Petty Officer 3rd class. Daddy strove to attain that. And by George, he did it!
I have done a little research on Admiral Conolly. What a service to our country he provided!
He served in World War I and World War II.
Ironically, after all the battles he commanded in the Pacific, in Europe, and in Africa, he and his wife were killed in a plane crash in New York City.
" On 1 March 1962 Admiral Conolly and his wife, Helen B. Conolly, were passengers aboard American Airlines Flight 1, which crashed into Jamaica Bay soon after take-off from Idlewild Airport, New York City, killing all 95 passengers and crew aboard. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery." Wikipedia


17 comments:
That was a lovely true story told in love.
Maggie x
Nuts in May
Loved the story and I have to say that I have heard of Admiral Conolly, as I love reading history - it is such a nice story told to you by your Father and a lovely memory. A great post - thank you :)
What a heartwarming story! Your father sounds like he is a very good man with a knack for being in the right place and the right time. Sorry to learn what happened to the Admiral. Great story, Jackie. Thank you for sharing it.
Positive tale. I enjoyed reading through it. I was like a pea in a peanut when I was introduced to our commanding general. I ended up working for two and they were really nice guys to work for. I also worked for a colonel who was responsible for a regimental combat team and he was special too. I think most officers are, but it is the lower ranking officers who are trying to make an impression that gives the officer corps a bad name.
That was a great story and your Dad was in the right place at the right time and with his abilities, he earned the rank he was given. God does that for us. Thanks for sharing.
My heart is happy too! What a cool story. I can't wait to share this with my husband who loves WWII stories. Your Dad is a neat guy. Tell him THANK YOU from us for his service too. I'm proud to know the daughter of such a fine man. That is sad that Admiral and Mrs. Conolly died so tragically. I pray they rest in peace.
PS: If your Dad has any more stories, feel free to share! I love hearing about honorable acts like this.
God bless. ~:)
Yep, a seaman would be humbled to be called into the presence of an Admiral. NO QUESTION. Also a privilege, seldom happens. Great story. Pass on my admiration to your dad. One of my brothers was a Carpenters mate 3rd. the other a Gunnersmate during WWII. I am in awe of those sea going men who were "SOMEWHERE" During the war. Families never knew exactly where they were. There was something called secrecy then.
I remember night after night hearing the news and hearing mom and Dad praying.
I never tire of stories of the sea adn sailors.
Love from central Florida. Enjoying a great BD.
I love reading/learning things like this!!! Thank you for making me smile. Blessings
It's a wonderful story. I enjoyed it. You have every right to be proud.
Tell your Dad for me that I loved his story. It was so good of him to share this with you and for you to share with us. Thank you, Jackie. May he have many more years to share his stories with you, and I'd like to read any you care to pass on. - Karen
Thanks for sharing your Dad's story. Circumstances allowed him to demonstrate his abilities. It's not only being in the right place at the right time, but having "the right stuff."
Please express my appreciation to your father for his service to our country.
That's a fine story, Jackie. I was so afraid you were going to say that Your Daddy measured incorrectly or made some other mistake, but I'm very happy it all turned out well. Good man.
Oh Jackie - what a wonderful story your Daddy shared with you. Thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us.
Your Dad sounds like the kind of person I'd like to know.. just like his daughter. Great story and a fine memory for him. Too bad about the Admiral and his wife. I wonder, did your father know about that when it happened or did he learn that alongside you and your research?
Hilary...Daddy didn't know of Admiral Conolly's death until I shared the news with him.
Thank you so much.
I am such a Daddy's girl.
Hugs to you,
Jackie
Thanks for this story.
My great uncle, Laurence Isbell, was a submariner on the USS Herring, which sank in combat. How I would love to know his stories.
Congrats on your POTW. So glad Hillary noticed this important story.
Post a Comment