Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Summer in South Georgia
Summer is here in full splendor: rope swings....hay bales...and tasseled corn.
Rope Swings ~ Hubby made the Grands another rope swing for the oak tree in our back yard. I encouraged him to move it farther away from the trunk of the tree from where it was previously located. (Nanas are like that. We foresee the children swinging at their highest.... going full blast...and swinging into the tree. (Not gonna happen on my watch!) So, with some gentle prodding (nagging) he moved the rope waaaaay away from the trunk.
Hay bales ~ Nope. We don't have any animals on the farm to feed. Not a single animal. (Well, I'm not counting the birds. I spend a fortune on bird feed, but birds aren't "animals." They are our feathered friends. I even rescued a baby bird (same bird...3 times) this month. Another story. Later.
Those hay bales are what we got for the Grands to climb up on and JUMP from when sitting on the rope swing. Got the picture? Much fun. It's like a ride at Disney World. Only cheaper.
Tasseled Corn ~ The corn in the background is Silver Queen. And delicious is an understatement. I boiled some for supper (for my blogging friends from the North, that would be "dinner.")
Math quiz: I boiled 15 ears for supper. I ate 4 ears. No ears were left.
Doesn't take Common Core Curriculum students to figure that one out, eh.
(We both work out at the Y. Double time for him this week. For sure.)
So glad to see that summer is here. Enjoying every moment of it.
Sending all of you big hugs.
Love,
Jackie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

40 comments:
My late mom loved silver queen corn. You have made me hungry talking about supper.
I know the grands enjoy the swing and the hay bales. Hard to believe it is June already.
Wishing you a nice day.
What a wonderful swing - I wouldn't mind some time on that for myself and I could have helped with the "Ears" too, 'cept you may have had to cook extra :) Great idea with the bales of hay - such fun - that's what it is all about. Have a wonderful day.
From your post, I can tell you are going to have a fun summer. If the heat and bugs dont get us, we will be thankful that we dont have snow and ice and have to stay indoors. Have a nice Wednesday. God bless.
And of course the grands love to see the grandparents. It's not rocket science, is it? Give them a place to have a lot of fun and receive a ton of love and why would they want to be anywhere else? Good for all of you. - Karen
You already harvested corn? I thought it was supposed to be "knee high by the Fourth of July" and you are already eating it? Love the picture and the playground for the grands. :-)
The summer is going by so quickly, isn't it.
But, since we are both retired, we don't wish it to go any faster or slower. We try and enjoy each day.
So happy to see you, my friend!
Love those ears of corn, and it appears that you do, too!
Those bales of hay come in handy for so many things: building blocks when one doesn't want to go and get the ladder.
Hay fort... Just so many ideas that we use them for!
Thank you for your well wishes.
I hope that you have a wonderful day, too!
Linda...the bugs were unbearable during May. The gnats.... What's with those things!! They were larger and more aggressive (can gnats be aggressive? :)) ) than I've ever seen them. Thankfully, they are gone....but the yellowflies are now out and about.
Yes... no snow here. But, I would love to see a bit of it myself during the winter. Just wishful thinking.
Hugs to you, Linda.
Karen...you are 100% correct about that. We have a pool (kiddie pool)...a merry-go-round, a sandbox, a swing, golf cart, go cart, and bicycles. We know that if we provide the fun place(s) for our babies to be, they will be here. And we do. And they are!!
Wise, aren't we.
Love you, Karen.
Jan...our growing season is much different from yours. All of our produce is in now.
But...you will be able to enjoy yours a little later, so it will be worth the wait!
I'll have to remember the saying, "knee high by the Fourth of July"....even though it doesn't apply to us. I know it applies to where you live. Makes me smile.
Great to see you back Jackie.
Your photograph caused me to think that the stage is being set for more fun with your grands in the summer with them playing on the swing and climbing on the bales.
Silver Queen corn - delicious
I'm looking at your riddle . . . . . . I am baffled!! Am I thick or what?
You boiled 15 ears for supper and ate 4 and there were none left . . . . . . ah!!! . . . I'm not thick after all . . . . some other people ate the 11 ears, right!
Did you hear the beautiful music on my blog three posts back, which is a backdrop to a poem I wrote about an imaginary person?
Thrilled you are back ~ Eddie
You are kind, as always my friend.
Yes. The stage is always set for our Grands. You will understand even more as Peter begins to play at your home. There is nothing like it!
Yes. Eleven ears were eaten.... but not by "others. ". They were eaten by Hubby. Alone. He loves boiled Silver Queen.
I haven't been back to older blogs yet. With time, I will try to do that.
Thank you for your kind visits to me, Eddie. That means a lot to me.
Tell your hubby he is VERY greedy!! LOL
And your visits mean a lot to me too. :)
I would love to be a kid again and swing on that swing. Silver queen! I will b right down. Peace
I will tell him, Eddie. But I'll tell him that YOU said that. Not me!
:))
Oh....come on down and we'll swing on it, my friend. I swing on it almost every day.
I love it!!
And Silver Queen....You get yourself here, and we'll have a corn boiling, for sure!
Ummm! Sweet corn! What is grown local here is more like field corn. This is most likely due to our severe drought conditions.
The funny thing about Grands, all grandmas can foresee an accident waiting to happen!
I'm happy to see you writing and posting pictures!
HUGZ!!!!
Hugs right back to you, sweet friend!
You know what? I love LOVE field corn. Absolutely!! Yum.
And you are right about Grandmothers' foreseeing those accidents. And we are 99% accurate with our predictions, too. Can't be too careful with our precious ones.
Love you, Tamara.
J.
We've had about three really tremendous days thus far this year. The rest have been crummy.
This is a good day, though, no matter the weather, because YOU'RE BACK. Yay!
Looks like great fun for the kidlets.
Supper or dinner is pretty much the same to me.
As I read this, I could imagine hearing Trace Adkins singing, "I ain't never had too much fun."
Jackie, it's so nice to see you back in the blogosphere!!
You're sweet, Jim. Thank you, my friend.
Here's hoping for many many tremendous days in a row for you and your Dear Wife.
Glad that you were able to go to see the play last evening.
Sending you hugs,
J.
We say "supper"....my Northern friends say "dinner".... They both are delicious with Silver Queen on to boil!
So nice to see you Anvilcloud!!
Craver...I'm tapping my foot as I type.
How are you and my favorite jogging friend Chrissy doing?
Tell her I miss her a bunch, and I hope that she gets her browser replaced so we can talk more often.
Thank you, Craver, for your continued friendship. It means so much to me.
Hugs,
J.
You know- I'm thinking you mean further North than here in MN - because here- we say "dinner" for lunch and call dinner, "supper," :) But- we would not be able to have sweet corn with tassels in June! How divine! The Grands will certainly have a ton of fun on the swing and with the hay. Its so lovely to see you here again and am hopeful we get to see them soon! I am sure they've grown like weeds- just like ours tend to do!
Alas, she has not been jogging (that I know of) since the 5K. I do think she has been walking though. As far as the browser is concerned... my guess is that we will not have online access at home until she breaks down and decides to upgrade from dial-up. I am not complaining though, her frugal ways have always helped us make ends meet.
Be sure and tell her that I miss her. She is my number one cheerleader, and she knows it!
We helped each other through the rough times of the beginnings of our work outs, and she is a sweetheart, for sure.
Regarding her frugal ways, that is such an admirable trait that she has.
Give her a hug from me and tell her that I'm keeping on keeping on....and I'm still cheering for her too.
So good to know that in Minnesota dinner is supper....and lunch is dinner!
We ate some more corn last night....and again tonight. We are enjoying it while it is coming in and fresh. I love to pick it, shuck and silk it, cook it....but most of all I love to eat corn on the cob.
I will try and post some photos of my Grands, soon. Yes. They have grown so much. Our only Grandson goes to first grade this coming August. It doesn't seem possible. Our two "baby" Grandgirls aren't babies any more. One turned 4 in May, and the other one turns 4 in November. Our oldest Granddaughter will be a teenager in July. Doesn't time just fly!
Sending you love,
Jackie
A very nice peep into summer on an American farm - the small ones must have great fun!
Actually here in southern Minnesota lunch is always at noon unless its a picnic and dinner can be then if it the main meal but supper is always at night unless it a midnight snack but the...... oh heck now I'm confused. And yes the field of corn in back of our house is just popping out of the ground....:)
What did he say? lol
Rune E... They do have fun. Thinking that Hubby and I have just as much (if not more) fun. Nothing compares to the love we share with them and they share with us. Priceless.
He just shook his head at me for telling the world that he at that many ears of corn.
I told him that it was OK. They were small ears, and we grew it so we can surely eat it.
The corn is almost gone now. I picked another big batch (that's what we call a bunch of corn) just before sundown tonight.
I picked okra, tomatoes, and squash, too. Growing and harvesting veggies is hard work....but well worth it.
I'm getting confused now, too, troutbirder. :)
I'm so glad that your corn is up. It won't be long until you will be eating fresh corn, too!
Smiles to you. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Always a pleasure to see you here.
J.
There is just something about country living..just makes me smile..As for the supper issue..(reading above) I was always taught (because my parents were from the mid west) that Dinner is the noon meal. Supper is the evening meal. Blessings
Ok, now that looks like fun! It's the kind of playing I had as a kid. It's also much healthier than Disney. Since no animals, y'all must raise cracked corn for feed? That's a good business to have out here.
Glad to see you back on the airwaves! ~:)
What a fun little post, dear Jackie :) The rope swing looks like great fun. Enjoy your Summer, sweet lady!
Hugs!
So...we share the same name for the noon and evening meals. Love that!
There is something wonderful about country living, Linda. We live close enough to a "city" that we can enjoy the comforts of both....country and town.
Love,
Jackie
Thank you, Sparky! It's good to be back with my blogging friends.
The rest from blogging was wonderful, but I missed all of you.
Nope. No cracked corn. :) Just fresh corn....and then.... no corn.
Sending you special hugs,
J.
Stephanie...I read your email, and I am so glad that you are going to enjoy a blogging break, too.
Take plenty of time....lots of rest, and know that I will be right here when you return.
Always lovely to hear from you.
Enjoy your summer, too, Stephanie.
Love,
Jackie
Post a Comment