Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mac's Jeep



This old Jeep sits on the side of a steep mountain road, and we pass it each time we round the bend heading toward the top to get to our home in NC.

The owner has long passed away, and his Jeep is a reminder to all of us who live there that he carved out the road by himself.  Yes, it took him a very long time to painstakingly clear a steep and treacherous trail filled with numerous turns and several switchbacks to the top of Dream Mountain.  His widow now lives at the base of the mountain in a small log cabin.

I stop and talk with her each time we travel there. I asked her about him. She told me that he worked on that trail every day (except Sunday.) One day he didn't come home for lunch. He would always get up early in the morning, and they would  have breakfast together. He would head out to work on clearing a pathway up their mountain, come home for lunch, and then head back up the mountain to cut and clear more trees.  It's what he loved.



When he didn't come home at lunch time, she began hiking up the mountain to look for him.  She found him. He had died of a heart attack on that road he carved out....the very one that we traverse today.

His Jeep now sits alongside the road near their log cabin.

His name is McDougle, and he was indeed a trailblazer.

22 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Sounds like the lane up the mountain to my great grandmother's house in Virginia, Jackie!

Patty said...

What a great story. sad that he died like he did, but apparently he was happiest doing his job.

Jackie said...

Wanda....I think that the mountain roads in the Appalachians all have something in common....among them is much beauty.

Patty...welcome! It is sad that he died the way that he did, but he enjoyed working on that mountain. He was very happy doing what he loved.

Eileen said...

Lovely post, Jackie.
Something sad about the old jeep sitting idle, almost like it's waiting for him. But also something sweet, something stoic about it. And a nice tribute to McDougle to have it there on the side of the road. Great photo. I've always loved black and white photos, but something about the sepia tone makes it a little bit warmer.

Great story. Thanks for sharing it.
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

imac said...

Great story and shot my friend.
Is it my Truck? lol.

Jackie said...

Eileen...Yes, there is a sense of sadness upon seeing the vehicle each time we pass it, but knowing his story and his love for his mountain, I can understand why his widow leaves it there.

Imac (Stewart)... Hi! I hadn't thought about it...but YES...it could be your jeep. Next time I drive by, I'm stopping and checking behind it and all around it to see if you've left a lens cover nearby! If so, rest assured that there will be a photo moment!!! :)))

Eddie Bluelights said...

Fascinating story, Jackie, and tragic ending. Great shame. Mac sounded a fascinating character and it is so nice of you to talk to his widow when you pass by. I like those old jeeps - looks like a WW2 one to me. Great shot and I agree the jeep looks better in black and white. Smiles and hugs ~ Eddie

Jackie said...

Hello Eddie...I'd like to find out more about the year of that Jeep. It's interesting to me. When I do, I'll share the info with you.
I hope that you and Maria and your daughter and son are doing well.
I send hugs and smiles from here in the USA to you.

Tamara said...

That jeep stands as a tribute to the man and his determination. This is a great story Jackie, I'm so glad you shared it!

Jackie said...

Tamara...I agree. The Jeep is a tribute to him. Thank you for your visits and comments.
I'm going to try your brussel sprouts recipe. Yes, I am!!! Have a good week, my friend.

Lori E said...

What a legacy. So glad that the story of his dedication to the area I am sure he loved is shared.

Jackie said...

LoriE...Yes, he loved the area. He and his wife owned the mountain (imagine owning an entire mountain.....sigh.) Since he passed away, she has sold portions of it (one of which we own) and we love going there during spring, fall, and summer. They were a sweet couple. She was born in 1927, and her health is failing now.

aurbie said...

We all dream of life on a mountain. Great shot. Thanks for sharing.

Jackie said...

Patty from Crisfield.....thank you for your visit and kind comments. I hope that you have a lovely week this week.

Craver Vii said...

That was a neat story. (Sepia was a perfect choice for the photo.) I hope that I am not heartless in saying this, but I did not find the story to be sad at all. I savored the nostalgia and pondered over the dignity in dying while doing something that he found fulfilling. So I happen to think he went in style.

Jackie said...

Hi Craver...
You...heartless? Never. You have a heart of gold.
I know that Mac was hard-working man who loved the mountains....loved working, and he did die doing what he loved.
Thank you for your comments here. I always look forward to seeing you visit. Hugs and smiles to you, my friend....

Suldog said...

Very sad that she had to discover him, but, in one way, it's a happy ending. He died in the midst of doing what he loved. I'm sure she takes comfort in that.

Jackie said...

Jim.....good to see you, always. I'm hoping that you have a good week. Hugs and smiles.
J.

Maggie May said...

That was a sad story. He didn't suffer and that was the best part.
The Jeep made a good picture.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Rob-bear said...

I'm with Patty. That is a great story, told so well.

Has anyone thought of making sure the jeep worked, perhaps restoring it in honour of it's owner?

Jackie said...

Maggie....Hi!! I'm glad you like the photo of the Jeep. I started to put it on the blog in color, but then I thought about using a sepia tone...and I went with it.
I hope that Harry continues to feel better. You know that I pray for you and for Harry. I love you, my friend...

Jackie said...

Rob....You are supposed to be in a den, hibernating. You peeked out to find a slightly warmer winter, I see. It's good to hear from you.
Continue to take care of you and stay warm.
Regarding the Jeep....the family hasn't done anything with it for years and years (and years.) I wondered the same thing as you.
Bear hugs to you....