Friday, January 20, 2012

Cake Smash

I had to look this one up.

smash cake  n. a celebratory cake intended to be destroyed, especially by a child.   

Here's the story.

   My niece called me yesterday and asked, "Would you pleeeeease take Ashton's photo for his 1st birthday party invitation that I want to send out next week."
   "Sure Missy. I'd love to."
   "Great! Thank you so much!  I'd like to do a cake smash"
                                    ???
  Hmmm.... I know what that sounds like....but could it be???
So, I looked it up, and sure enough; it's exactly what it sounded like.
The child gets to totally destroy a birthday cake while someone makes a photo record of it.
(I would have NEVER been allowed to play in my birthday cake when I was a child....but what do I know about 'modern' day fads and such....) I'm simply "the aunt with a camera"....and happy to take photos if she wants me to.
  When I volunteered my house for the "photo opt" I wasn't thinking (again) about what happens after it's over.  You can only imagine! :)) But that's another story...another blog.
   The lighting was not good because it was after sundown when they arrived this evening, and all I have is a camera that has a pop-up flash....and  I told her that, but she didn't seem to mind. She said that if I would take his photo(s) she would really appreciate it.
   I did.
   Here are a few of them.





(The one above cracked me up because he had gotten
 to eat the cake by himself, and he simply couldn't believe it...
....and he was eyeing it ready to dive in for more!!)


He really began to "get into" eating this cake.
And I continue snapping the photos.

He has this down to a SCIENCE!!






I took 109 photos of him eating (smashing) his cake.
You are welcome (for not publishing more than I already have....)

What?

You want to see the cake totally smashed?
Well, you asked for it. 

P.S. (Jack left the house to go on a drive before the "photo shoot."
He said he couldn't take seeing "the mess." )
Can't say that I blame him! :)))
I leave you with Ashton and the totally smashed cake.





13 comments:

Tamara said...

Well, the floor DOES look clean enough to eat off of... and really, don't all first birthday's end up with smashed cake?

Hugz to you Jackie AND you were right about Google Chrome. Now, if I can adapt to change!

Vicky said...

Oh Jackie- how very kind of you to do this and to offer up your house for the demolition! The photos truly capture it all. My Nolan hardly wanted to participate, but Colton managed to end up wearing most of the cake! Such delightful memories to have!

Lori E said...

The whole cake? Nope. Don't think so.
Feel free to smoosh in the piece placed in front of you but not the whole cake.
That being said your pictures are beautiful. The boy has some major blue eyes. Wow.

Maggie May said...

Hope he wasn't sick! More mess?
You are a good Grannie....... I'd have said a definite *NO*!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Craver Vii said...

Great pics! I love to see tots get totally into their food. (But that's only when they're too young to handle a knife and fork.) You know what else is good? Spaghetti. Oh, but I have seen a splendid mess or two! I love the idea of letting them wear clothes that can get stained, and letting them feel what they're eating. It does more than heighten their experience. It also helps develop manual dexterity.

Suldog said...

I'm one of those folks who doesn't have the gene that makes them receptive to photos of children with food on their faces. Yuck! Not my thing! Having said that, though, you're a great sport for having it at your place. Keep the photos hanging around for later in life if someone says you're no fun :-)

Eileen said...

Well, HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY TO ASHTON!!

And, yes, I've heard of the 'cake smash', and not just for one-year-olds. I know people that bake two cakes, one for eating and one for smashing and/or mushing into the face of the Birthday Boy/Girl!
Oh no! It's not done in my house although I have witnessed others doing it.

We have our own weirdness, like singing off-key and LOUD, and also smearing your name on the cake for luck after you've blown out the candles. Oh, and you have to cut the first piece if it's your birthday too.

Your nephew (or great-nephew, right?) is adorable! And I can definitely see a family resemblance ~ those beautiful eyes!
He's very cute and he did seem to enjoy his cake smash! (But I hope my kids don't start this tradition with the grandchildren!)

You took some great photos and I'm sure you're niece is very happy with them!

Very cute post!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

tainterturtles said...

Oh this brings back memories when our daughter turned 1 year old. She too smashed her cake, but in a more controlled way!!

Of course I took photos of her all cake messy.....and then she threw up right after I snapped the pictures! I'll never forget that!

I bet you had fun Jackie. So how long did it take to clean up?

Rob-bear said...

Oh, I say, Jacquie: smashing good photos, eh, what? Ideal for something, I'm sure. Missy will decide. All you're doing is aiding and abetting.

Dreadful end to which the cake came, I think. But perhaps not. What does a Bear really know about cake, other than eating it?

imac said...

Thats a new way to me too - must be the age gap,lol.

LOve em all, but that last one takes the (biscuit) sorry Cake.

Rebecca said...

I must live under a rock!

Kudos to you for your patience and photographic skills! They turned out SO great!

Rune Eide said...

That's the way to do it! Sometimes one could wish one were one again (that was a lot of ones ...), so that it was possible to do thinks like this and get away with it :-)

PS Thank you for the nice comment - things are moving the right direction :-)

Eddie Bluelights said...

Ashton is sure trying to "have his cake and eat it!" LOL.
What a mess!! but he obviously thinks it tastes nice. Really great photos, Jackie.