Sunday, January 22, 2012

Something Old Something New

Shelby played with a Fisher Price "Play Family House" tonight at our house after church.
This play house goes back a long way.




Our daughter played with it when she was a little girl, and she's a 30-year-old mother of a little girl herself now.


I tried to keep a lot of our son's and our daughter's toys that they enjoyed playing with when they were very young.  I'm glad that I did because it brings a wonderful feeling to me that I can't explain...to be able to see our grandchildren playing with and enjoying the toys that their parents played with when they were little.

[I even kept the box with this house (and furniture.) ]



I enjoyed watching Shelby play with it tonight. She has a world of toys and some are very "techie."
One that I think is cute and clever can be seen in the background. It is a lavender stuffed dog named "Violet."  After purchasing Violet, one hooks the stuffed doggie up to the computer and programs the child's name, favorite songs, colors, etc. into it; it talks, sings, and counts, etc. to the child. It's a very clever toy, and Shelby loves Violet,  but without fail, she always goes for the play house...and spends the majority of her playtime at Nana's playing "house." 

(Taking a break to watch a little TV........)




Trying to eat one of the Fisher Price figurines that belongs inside the house........

I love this baby girl.

Yes, I'm sentimental.
Love and hugs to you,
Jackie

14 comments:

Rob-bear said...

Something borrowed,
Something blue (or violet, as the case may be).

Delightful pictures, Grandma!

Now, back to hibernating.

Snore.

Tamara said...

Awwww! Jackie, what a thoughtful Grandma you are. Frankly, I prefer some of the 'old' things as they allow the child to use their imagination, vs. a pre-programmed "this is how you should be playing and doing" mentality. My Grandson still loves boxes and I hope to find a stove sized one to make him a play house!

Wanda..... said...

Shelby has beautiful eyes, Jackie!

Eileen said...

Yes, Jackie, we saved the old Fisher-Price toys too! We have tons of little figures, and the ferris wheel, and merry-go-round, and houses, etc.
Supposedly they are choking hazards and the 'new' little people are made much bigger and fatter, but my grandchildren play with the ones my children played with too among all their new high-tech toys!

Beautiful post!
BEAUTIFUL grandbaby!!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Eddie Bluelights said...

We have in our loft some toys our children played with ready for the coming grandchildren, when they come!! Probably quite a wait as yet. Great photos and great memories for you, Jackie

Vicky said...

Oh I have it too!! I loved my doll house- I played with it so, so much. And now all the kids I babysit come and play with it too :) There is nothing like those original fp toys! Could she be any sweeter?

imac said...

Love and Hugs to you all...
Pure delight post my friend.

Diana said...

Oh I remember that exact playhouse! I don't think Ginny had it but someone did. We moved so many times over the years that I don't have any of Frank or Ginny's toys but I'm pretty sure we still have all of Katie's!!
Shelby is so adorable with those pretty blue eyes. It is easy to see how much joy she carries with her!!
Love Di ♥

tainterturtles said...

Shelby is just beautiful Jackie!

Lew said...

Delightful! I think she will really appreciate the fact that those playthings were her mothers when she is a little bit older.

Gail said...

Hi Jackie - lovely pictures and even lovelier memories. And those blue eyes! My word!
Love Gail
peace.....

p.s. please stop by my place and see/read my last post, thnx. I would so love your thoughts

Craver Vii said...

Good times.

I wonder what to keep when my kids are grown and leave the house. Hmmm... I wonder if they'll ever leave the house. (Hahaha)

That's great that they have a positive, ongoing relationship with you. I was just learning of a friend who's family story is the opposite. It warms the heart to see the love in your house, Jackie!

Suldog said...

I think it's magnificent that you've saved some of the toys from the previous generation. I wish I had a whole bunch of mine, but most had to be discarded in various moves...

Maggie May said...

You did well to keep the little house in the box and all the bits complete. Not many do this.
The pictures are lovely . You always take good photos.
Beautiful granddaughter.
Maggie X

Nuts in May