(Sounds interesting and possibly serious, doesn't it? :))) )
"Vitrous humor is the gelatinous mass that fills the space between the lens of the eye and the retina."
(Wikapedia).
[I would've let you think that I "thunk" that up all by myself, but you all know me by now, and you know that doesn't even SOUND like me!!]
Mine (in my right eye) had shrunk away from the retina and folded over on itself.
(In other words, I have an eye problem.)
I scheduled an appointment last month to see my opthamologist.
Today (Valentine's Day) was the first available opening he had for me, so I told the nurse to "book it" for me.
Rewind to 2005:
In 2005, I was finishing my last year of teaching. Retirement was coming at the end of May!! Yes and Amen!!
I was in the computer lab with my students in the A.M., and I suddenly felt a verrrry strange sensation in my right eye. The flashing lights that started occurring immediately in that eye were unbelievable (and scary!) I knew enough about the eye/retina to get myself to the doctor...which I did. I left school and drove to my ophthalmologist's office. (Frankly, I was thinking, "Detached retina.")
I was diagnosed with vitreous humor detachment in 2005. My doctor said, "This doesn't usually happen until one is OLDER." (At the time, I was almost 55 and I think I remember him saying that it usually occurs in a 70-80 year old person.)
Hmmm. What does that mean? I have an "old" eye??
He said, "We can do surgery (a vitrectomy.)
I copied this from WebMD to give you an idea of what he told me. (Remember, this is all happening in 2005. We are still in "rewind" mode...)
During a vitrectomy, the surgeon inserts small instruments into the eye, cuts the vitreous gel, and suctions it out. After removing the vitreous gel, the surgeon may treat the retina with a laser (photocoagulation), cut or remove fibrous or scar tissue from the retina, flatten areas where the retina has become detached, or repair tears or holes in the retina.
In my case, there was no tearing of the retina. The surgeon would remove the vitreous gel and then replace it with a saline solution, silicone oil, or gas. The dangers of the surgery are minimal (but blindness/loss of vision couldn't be ruled out.)
I thought about it, and with his (doctor's) guidance, decided not to have the surgery. I weighed "sight" over "possible blindness" and "sight" won. Not even a close race.
Fast Foward to 2009:
This is a photo of "the eye" (and the rest of my face ) in 2009. (I have very few photos of me 'face-on'. I tend to have the back of my head photographed, but I found one to share with you.)
You cannot tell by looking at the eye from the 'outside' that there is a doggone thing wrong with my vision.
But, trust me, looking from the inside out, there is a problem.
But, trust me, looking from the inside out, there is a problem.
This past year, I found this to be very uncomfortable; it was really bugging me. The vision seemed good....when the eye was "clear"...but I found the times of "clear" to be rare ones.
Since I play piano and organ for church, and I love to read, etc., I decided to go back to my ophthamologist to have my eyes thoroughly checked (again) to see if any damage has been done to my retina or any changes have occurred in my right eye. I saw him today. (No pun intended.)
(I have put this off and put this off. I have been nervous even thinking about going back...)
The Present: 2012
My eye appointment and my results:
After a thorough examination, Dr. Ophthamologist said, "You have better vision than 95% of the people in this country. You have 20/15." He said that was better than 20/20...whatever that means. I've heard of 20/20...but I'm not real familiar with 20/15. Suffice it to say, he said it was excellent. In both eyes! :)) OK. So, no problem, right?
Well.....
"You have vitreous humor detachment." (I already knew that.) Just wanted to make sure that the diagnosis hadn't changed and wanted him to check my retina.. Which he did. He said that I didn't have any tearing in my retina, and that a vitrectomy could be scheduled for me. A surgeon that does this type of procedure comes to Valdosta (GA) from Tallahassee (FL) twice or three times a week and has a surgical unit here in Valdosta. He said it is a much more common surgery now than it used to be.
But... He said, "In your case, with your vision as good as it is, if it was me, I wouldn't have it done unless something changes. But it's your decision." He said that the eye could change; it could change overnight, and if I saw flashing lights or new/more floaters to come back to the doctor's office immediately. He said, "But, if we do the surgery, you won't be satisfied with your vision afterward because you have such excellent vision now." (I'm feeling good about this diagnosis, because, frankly, I didn't sleep a wink last night thinking that I was going to be told today that I should have surgery on that eye.)
He said that after the surgery I wouldn't have the acuity that I have now (he didn't use that word; that one is MINE!) and if I had this surgery I would probably also face cataract surgery in the future. He said that with all things considered, this detachment is something that I can live with and adjust to (I already have; it just 'bugs' me!)
But. Nuff said. I can live with this humor that I have.
I left his office with a twinkle in BOTH eyes! I'm feeling good tonight and wanted to share the good news with you.
Hugs,
Jackie

17 comments:
That's a lot to take in Jackie, so I'm sure you couldn't sleep when you first learned of your eye problem. Thank you for sharing with us. Whatever you decide to do, I know it will be the right choice for you.
Happy Valentine's Day to you Jackie dear!
I am glad your eye does not require surgery and that youknow what to watch for in the future!
Thanks for your comment on my valentine and snow posts. If we get more snow there will be more pictures. In the mean time here are three links to snow 2 years ago:
http://lewspics.blogspot.com/2009/12/squirrel-hide-and-seek.html
http://lewsotherpics.blogspot.com/2009/12/window-views-snow-scenes.html
http://lewsotherpics.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-world-tuesday-digging-out.html
Glad that the story ended well, Jackie. I've had cataracts on both eyes, and now have new lenses in them. Eyes are tricky for surgery; blindness is not fun.
Jackie, I have the same problem in both eyes! (PVD).
My first one went years ago and I looked at the sky and saw all these lights flashing & rushed to the very good eye hospital here because I thought had a retinal detachment. They assured me that it was an *age* thing and that I would have to learn to live with it.
The second eye went a year later & I got a check and was told the same thing.
I have learnt to live with it and it is a long time since it happened.
The worst things are:- trying to read & finding the floaters & stuff gets in the way....(though I can & do still read).
Night blindness that causes me to see huge halos round approaching headlamps..... so I gave up driving as I was freaked out.
I was advised that the operations would have considerable risk to my sight, so I feel I won't contemplate that. It is just an inconvenience and I really don't see well in the dark so that is not much of a problem in the house.
Hope this reassures you.
Maggie X
Nuts in May
This doesn't sound pleasant at all Jackie. It seems that it would be difficult to live with but the alternative seems iffy to say the least. I find that given time, God generally leads me to the right decision. I think you probably believe that too. I sure hope that he helps you with it soon! Good Luck and Bless you my friend!!
Love Di ♥
You are so lucky to have a doctor who has given you such an option! I learned last month that I will need to have cataract surgery in the future and am NOT looking forward to that! However, you are very fortunate to have such good eyesight. I am terribly nearsighted and need my glasses to recognize street signs and large objects like cars. :-)
That's good new, but I know things that bugs someone can really be a pain. Like the ringing or buzzing sounds in the ear, doctor said there's nothing we can do, you just have to learn to live with it, and after almost a half year, I finally got to the point I didn't notice it so much, but it's still there and some days does really bug me.
Good luck with the eye problem, you certainly do have pretty blue eyes. I've had cataract surgery in both eyes now and feel naked since I don't have to wear glasses all the time. I bought some cheap reading glasses to set at the computer and read. My eye doctor said there was no sense in spending money for prescription reading glasses when the cheap ones should do the trick.
So you got nice Valentine gift, NO SURGERY.
Whew! I felt nervous for you as I read this post. Praise God that glad you found an outcome that you can have peace with.
Hey, did I ever tell you about my eye problems? I'm deaf in one eye and can't hear out the other.
"The surgeon would remove the vitreous gel and then replace it with a saline solution, silicone oil, or gas." Really? It sounds like any type of albumin will do. How 'bout egg white, Doctor?
Sorry about those groaners. That's about all the eye humor I could come up with. ;-)
You play organ at church? I miss that. How I wish that I could visit your church some day!
Pleased to hear the good news.
Ive been told I have cataracts in both eyes but very slight.
I have quite a few floaters too.
Also my eyes one at once sometimes blue a little but clear after a day or so.
The 20/15 is damned impressive, for your (please excuse me) age. I had that when I was a kid. I used to amaze my friends by reading billboards so far away that most of them couldn't make out a word on the things. It was a great asset for playing baseball, too (it is said that Ted Williams had 20/10, so I figured split the difference between that and 20/20, and I'll be pretty near half the hitter he was. It didn't quite work out that well, but I still had a distinct advantage as a hitter.) I'm now 20/40, uncorrected, and I miss my eagle eyes.
I any case, you have a damn good doctor. Good for him on advising you correctly. Don't ever screw with your eyes unless it is absolutely necessary.
Jackie: Now that is a problem that sounds like a funny name. I doesn't sound like a humorous subject. Glad it's not bothering you enough to do anything with it.
Once again thanks for visiting Kitty Justice. I think your eyes are beautiful and the color gorgeous so I was delighted to hear the news that no operation needed to be done. Peace be with you.
That IS great news, Jackie! I'm thankful with you. The description of the surgery AND the condition itself don't sound very pleasant at all!
(I have a few floaters. After awhile, I forget about them - until I develop another one...and at my last exam was told I had the beginning of a cataract. I really MUST get back to the eye doctor. It's been quite awhile. I'd probably be amazed how well I see if I'd get a new prescription.)
Jackie, many thanks for the lovely card received today. I was very touched by your thoughtfulness and the words on the card. I will keep in touch via snail mail.
Luv Maggie X
WONDERFUL! But I wouldn't change a thing with my cataract surgery! I only need readers now! WOO HOO! But I am so glad and thankful for your outcome. The cataract surgery was/is intense... as you are awake when it happens.
Hi Jackie,
I am hoping I can post here. I am so sorry to hear about your eye. Glad that you do not need surgery, and you are happy with what your Dr. had to say. Thanks for your encouragement on my blog. I really need that right now. Keep on trusting, I pray your 'humor' will stop bugging you.
((((Hugs))))) 555
A write up full of food for thought for the others too !!
As you know Vitreous humor is a gell that fills the space between the lens and the retina (80% of the volume of the eyeball) which lines the back of the eye and helps to keep the retina in place by pressing it against the eyeball. There are millions of fine fibers in the vitreous humor. These fibers attach to the surface of the retina. A posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) is a common condition seen in people age 60 and older and increasingly more common after age 80.
This detachment is usually the result of normal, age-related changes in the vitreous gel in which the gel shrinks and separates from the retina.
As we age,the vitreous shrinks and it becomes more liquid. As it shrinks, these fibers that are attached to the retina pull away from the retinal surface and separate from the retina. This can cause vitreous floaters.
The aqueous humor, the fluid in the front part of the eye between lens & the pupil, is continuously replenished. However, the gel in the vitreous humor is not. Therefore, if debris from these tiny breaks in the retina get into the vitreous humor, they will remain there. This debris or tiny specks of tissue are called floaters. They may look like dots, dust, cob webs or strings in your vision. You are actually seeing the shadow of this debris as light is cast onto your retina.
They can be annoying and interfere with your vision or reading temporarily. However, most ophthalmologists consider them harmless and a normal sign of aging & gradually the brain adapts to these floaters & the sumptoms disappear with passage of time. PVD usually does not cause any problems, but it can sometimes cause tears in the retina.
At points where the vitreous gel is strongly attached to the retina, the gel can pull so hard on the retina that it tears the retina. The tear then allows fluid to collect under the retina and this may lead to a retinal detachment.
Therefore, there is nothing to worry about PVD alone,.... BUT one must always be aware of 3 symptoms which herald the onset of or possibility of associated retinal detachment, & these symptoms are ...
(1). A sudden increase in floaters.
(2). An increase in flashes of light in peripheral vision or periphery of your sight, &
(3). An appearance of a curtain over the field of vision.
One must see an eye care professional immediately if any one of these are noticed.
Post a Comment