Monday, May 21, 2012

The garden is growing so quickly that one can almost "see" the plants gain height daily.

Last year, we didn't plant eggplants, but our son and his wife did. I loved the Japanese variety that they planted, so we planted some of them along with the American globe eggplant. The Japanese eggplant is blooming, and as I weeded the garden (by hand) today, I took time to stop and get the camera and photograph the blossoms.





We will be away on vacation for a while, so we installed a timer to water our garden each day while we are gone. I am hoping that some of the vegetables will be almost ready to pick when we get back home.  Our squash, tomatoes, and bell peppers are blooming, along with the eggplants.

Have a beautiful week. I look forward to reading your blogs when I return.


Hugs to you,
Jackie

13 comments:

Tamara said...

The blossoms of the eggplant are almost worth planting just for that! Be safe on your vacation!
Hugz!

DJan said...

What a pretty flower! I love eggplant and had no idea it bore such lovely blooms. I like it even better now. Have a great trip and take care of yourself. See you when you get back!

Diana said...

I had no idea that Eggplant was so pretty! That is because I am allergic to it!!
You know me Jackie, I didn't plant any vegies, all flowers. I love the flowers. As a matter of fact I am going outside right now to do some more planting and weeding.
Enjoy your time away. And I hope you see some vegies popping through when you return!!
Love You, Hugs, Di ♥

Craver Vii said...

I am fascinated by the ability of some people (such as yourself) to be able to care for and grow things. I have begun a few times, but Original Sin has more power over the ground than I do. These eggplants look great so far, and I look forward to an update.

Vicky said...

Have a lovely vacation Jackie! Enjoy your time away and I hope you are able to spend some time with your Mom and Dad. Those blooms look lovely and its always so hard to fathom that I don't even have seeds in the ground yet as yours start to bloom!

Lady Di Tn said...

It has a pretty bloom. Have a great vacation. Peace

Sally Wessely said...

Have a wonderful trip!

Maggie May said...

What a beautiful plant. Love the flower.
Hoping you have a wonderful time while away.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Dave said...

This eggplant has lovely flowers Jackie - Dave

Suldog said...

I've never seen an eggplant without an actual eggplant on it. I had no idea the flowers were so beautiful.

imac said...

Beautiful my friend. enjoy.

Unknown said...

Hello my sweet and thoughtful friend! I am here, yes I am, reading as often as I can, and feeling terrible about not posting for over a month, I think 2! But I think of my friends often and I do try and keep up a thought or 2 on the dump Face Book stuff, because that is where my kids are. The communication Highway. I let them know of my injury via FB, thought I would share that way just to prove a point. Not sure it proved anything. But I did get a very quick response like within 3 minutes from my daughter because her phone is linked to FB LOL. Ahhh such geeks my kids are. Are you going to NC? Is your mama ok? How is your sweet daddy? Miss you my friend!

aurbie said...

I will have to get some eggplant. Is it too late? Love the flower. This is my first garden in eons. Actually, I planted a ton of lettuce, tomatoes, cukes, radishes, and carrots. I planted them in those half barrels because when it rains hard the marsh water comes up and kills everything.

Since I eat only organic store food, I tried picking the bugs off the plants, but that got to be too much. Then I bought some stuff that said you could harvest next day. When I pulled the sticker off the back it said not to breath the stuff or get it on your skin; to wear gloves, and not use on a windy day. That went in the trash.

I then bough sevin dust. I thought that was ok and sprinkled it before reading. It said the same thing, but for things like lettuce it said I could not harvest for 14 days! So now I have lettuce going bad. Naturally, I am back to picking off bugs. No wonder people are so sick.

Oh, we decided against the Georgia lake house. Staying put until our house sells.