Sunday, June 3, 2012

Accountable



I have a goal for myself, and to stick to it and "get through it" is hard...as with any worthy goal.
So, I'm putting my "face" out here with the intentions of holding myself accountable.

I need to lose 30 pounds and to shape up.  I have put on a lot of weight over the past couple of years. It's been my own doing. I've not exercised enough and haven't eaten the right foods.

That is changing starting right NOW.  This is a photo that Hubby took of me, Mama, and Daddy on May 24. As I look at myself, I see the need to get back into the shape that I have always been. Yes, I'm older now (I'll be 62 in August)...but that is no excuse for me to have let my health and weight fall by the wayside. Like I said, it's my fault...no excuses whatsoever.

I figured if I put my photo out here for all of you, my blogging friends, I would be more likely to stick to my goal of getting more physically fit and overall, more healthy. You will help me...and encourage me. I know each of you well enough to know that. I thank you in advance for that.

I will post another photo "after" I have reached my goal.   It's the best way for me to do this. Holding myself accountable...to me....and to you: my dear blogging friends.

Hugs (big ones) from me....with more (or less) :)) to come later.

Smiles,
Jackie

32 comments:

Tamara said...

And that is exactly WHY I don't put my fact and body out there! But I too, need to do something. The 3 yr anniversary of the heart attach approaches and I'm heavier now than I have ever been. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

In the mean time, You Go, Girl!

Jackie said...

Oh Tamara...my friend! I cannot believe it's been 3 years for you. I remember when Mama had her by-pass surgery...after the surgery and rehab, she did so well with her weight and her diet. But, as time passed, she began to fall back into the pattern of not eating from her heart-healthy diet. It happens to all of us, I'm afraid. Thank you for your encouragement. I knew that I could count on my sweet blogging friends to help me with this. And, I DO need the help. It's one of the hardest things for me...to lose weight. I've never had a problem with weight...ever. But, as I've grown older (and more sedentary) I am having that problem. I'm fighting the good fight now. :)) And, I will fight it... I will. I am a determined woman. Thank you again, my friend. :)))

Rob-bear said...

Bear (at almost 67) is a bit more bulgy than he was a few years ago, and has decided to use this summer to become more active again. (Apartment living is not a very active lifestyle, I have found.) My bicycle is in good order (thanks to my son, who bicycles everywhere, including the rainy and snowy seasons). I do need more air in the tyres, something to which I shall attend this week.

I would be much happier travelling around on my bicycle than in our care when the the weather is so nice.

I hope you stay strong and healthy for a very long time!

Jackie said...

Rob...so glad you mentioned your bicycle. My hubby has aired the tires on mine, and I intend to ride mine and enjoy the scenery along the way. That is a great (and fun) way to exercise. I also am going to walk...and walk. I have always enjoyed walking, and now I have a grand reason to increase the times that I do it.
Let's ride our bikes and enjoy! Whaddya say! Thank you for your encouragement!!
Smiles,
J.

DJan said...

I am indeed wishing you all kinds of good wishes for you to succeed in your quest! For me, the hard part is getting starting, and after that seeing results helps me keep it up. I found counting calories to be the best way for me, but everyone has a different way that works for them. Good luck!!! And I look forward to the picture.

Jackie said...

Thank you, Jan, for your good wishes! I think that counting calories will work for me, as well. I know that calories in/calories expended equals either weight gain or weight loss. That makes perfect sense to me. I can't wait to post the "after" photo. I'm not sure how long that will be, but I do know that the weight didn't come on overnight, and it won't come off overnight either. I'm going to be patient and will stick with this until I "get 'er done!" (I LOVE Larry the Cable Guy!) :)))
Hugs,
J.

Dave said...

You look OK in this photo Jackie, but if you feel you need to lose some weight go for it. So do I - Dave

Maggie May said...

Thats one of the reasons that I never show my photos on the blog!
You look lovely and don't look your age.
However, it is what we feel about ourselves that matters and you know how you want to be.

I am overweight and have tended to eat to comfort my self over all the treatments I have experienced.I also feel that I don't want to deprive my self. However, I also get fed up with having to through out my smaller favourite clothes. (One mixed up lady!)
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Eileen said...

Well, I'm sitting right along side you, sister! I've been making changes too (except my exercise plan has fallen by the wayside, I'm determined to start AGAIN though), but I've been sticking to the diet plan. I started in mid-January and I've only lost twelve pounds so far! (In fact I had started a blog about my diet but stopped posting because of this stand-still I'm in.) It is SLOW going, but I'm really sticking to the plan this time no matter how long it takes. I STILL have 55 pounds to go! I don't know what is making me stick so far because it is very discouraging.
When I was young the pounds just fell off, five pounds a week lost was EASY to do back then! Now, forget it! I can starve myself and the weight just wants to stay on.

I am at the highest weight I've ever been in my life. I weigh more now than I did when I was pregnant! Now that's BAD.

Well, ALL THE BEST to you, Jackie!
(Actually, I think you look fine in the picture above, but I SO understand!)
YOU GO, GIRL!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Jackie said...

Thank you, Dave. It's a "hard row to hoe" as we say here in the South, but I'm going to do this. It will take perseverance, and I'm determined to do this. Thank you so much for your encouragement.
Smiles,
J.

Jackie said...

Maggie...You are sweet to say so, and I do appreciate it. I have never looked my age (or so I've been told) but the weight thing...that's another story. It's hard to hide additional weight when one is 5'2" tall. I'm about as wide as I am tall, now! :)) One of my downfalls is snacking late at night. I have been guilty, guilty, guilty of that. That is one of the first things I have cut out. Regarding your treatments and eating, you need and should have the extra reserve, my friend. Don't deprive yourself of food, especially since you are going through cancer treatments. I hug you real good. I love you, my friend.

Jackie said...

Eileen...it's so tough, isn't it? Like you, I have always been able to eat anything I want, and if I gained a pound or two extra, it was easy for me to get it off. That has all changed. Could it be our age? I'm thinking that must have a lot to do with it. It can be discouraging, but I'm here to encourage you, too. Let's get this done. We'll feel better, and we'll feel better about ourselves. I'm proud that you've been on your diet plan since mid-January. You're ahead of me....and I'm pulling for you all the way! :))
Much love to you.
Jackie

Vicky said...

Oh how I love your accountable self! I don't tend to see size in people- I'll just have to take your word for it. But I love when people want to take charge of their health most importantly. Kudos to you for realizing you want to reach a new goal and are setting off to do it! You'll have to tell us how it goes!!

Suldog said...

Well, yes, I will offer whatever encouragement you need. I'll say a prayer, too, which will probably be more effective, in the long run, than any encouragement I could offer. However, let me say up front that you do NOT look 61. And I can't say that I'd look at you and think, "My! Isn't she fat!" To my eyes, and I hope you take this in the nice way intended, you look to be a woman in her early 50's in just about the nice shape a woman in her early fifties should be in.

However, I don't suppose saying that sort of thing is what will get you to do whatever it is you want to do, so feel free to ignore it.

Jackie said...

Vicky...thank you for that. I hope to reach my new goal soon, and rest assured, photo(s) will follow. Thank you, sweet Vicky. Hugs and love to you.
J.

Jackie said...

Jim..I'll take early 50's. Thank you! That's encouragement enough for me. I'm gonna "get 'er done."
I smile at your blog and your comments. Such an intelligent man you are. Friends forever, we are.
Hugs from me to you....
J.

Wanda..... said...

Hey Jackie...I never dreamed you were only 5'2", that's what I am, actually I may be a half inch shorter, if measured precisely!☺ Hope you find it easy to reach your goal weight, Jackie. I find that eating my main meal for the day at lunch time helps me, one has all day to burn those calories. Then something small around 6 in the evening, with maybe a little healthy treat around 8, but never anything after 8. A definite routine helps I think. Plus I rather be more active than deprive myself of food, which leads to craving, which leads to cheating, which leads to feelings of failure. I hate diets...just eat healthy to be healthy!

I keep wanting to make some mail art for you, since you sent me a postcard earlier this year. Maybe soon it will happen!

Jackie said...

Great tips, Wanda. I need to eat less after 8 (if anything.) That would help me a lot.
It was my pleasure to send you the postcard, Wanda.
I smile as I think that we are both about the same height. But...our feet go all the way to the ground, right! :))
Hugs and many smiles to you, my friend.
J.

imac said...

You look in great shape to me my friend lol.

Jackie said...

Stewart.....big hugs to you. Thank you!!
How are you and yours doing? I hope that all is well with you.
Sending you another hug with my smile!

Cindy said...

You can do it!!! I need to lose too so I bought a bike last week so I could start some kind of exercise program. I gained back about 25 of the 52 I lost before Mama passed. You can do it Jackie. Think positive and take it one day at a time.

Hugs,
Cindy

Jackie said...

I wish we lived closer, Cindy so we could ride our bikes together. Thank you so much for the wonderful encouragement.
I will take this one day at a time.
Give special hugs to your Dad and to your sweet and lovable Annie and Charlie for me.
Love,
J.

Lady Di Tn said...

I was 62 in January. Maybe I need to try what you are doing. I need to shed my extra baggage because of health reasons. Lower my A1C. I was doing good about going to the Y then came yard work, planting, weeding etc etc. So I see the error of my ways through your post. I just need to put on my Big Girl Panties and deal with it. Thanks for the nudge. Peace

Craver Vii said...

Thirty pounds?! You'll waste away to nothing!

Whatever your goal is, I expect that you (having such a healthy attitude and state of mind) will thrive on the extra energy as well as feeling fit and feeling well.

Personally, I have fallen way behind on exercise. I will give serious thought today on how to get on track with that. (deep breath) Here goes...!

Jackie said...

Lady Di...Health reasons is one of the main reasons I'm going to lose weight. I enjoy working in the yard and garden, and it should be that the pounds should "fly" off as I do that...but, alas, they do not. As you begin your regiment, I hope that you know that I'm rooting for you, too. Hugs and love to you.
J.

Jackie said...

Oh Craver...no, I shan't waste away. :)) But, you are sweet to say so. Thank you, my friend. Right now, (Tuesday morning) I'm not feeling too well, and so my "diet" is on a break, as I'm just trying to feel better and get myself up and out and about. There is a terrible flu virus/bug going around here (our church members have been hit with this one pretty bad)...Our minister of music and family all had to have fluids/IVs...and several other people in our church family have had this ugly one... I went to bed feeling bad, and woke up feeling bad. I haven't had any other symptoms other than feeling nauseous, but that is enough for me right now. I want it to go away. Anyway, I'm feeling pretty 'tough' right now and want to get to feeling better so that I can resume my exercise and dieting. I haven't even really had a chance to give it a chance! :)) Thank you, Craver. You are indeed a good friend to me.
Hugs,
J.

Rune Eide said...

Since are very nearly the same age, I'll give you one advice: 1n 1999 I weighed 90 kg - in 1990 I weighed 80 kg. How? An hour's walk per day, and slight adjustments to the diet. Good luck!

Jackie said...

Congratulations, RunE!! I am so proud of your accomplishments. I will take your advice, my friend. I already planned to walk 3 miles per day (increasing the distance as I am able)...and my adjustments to my diet are already in the works. In addition to those things, I am riding my bicycle for fun and for exercise. I think that my weight will take care of itself. Thank you again for your advice and your encouragement!
Hugs,
J.

Rebecca said...

I'm SO with you, Jackie! I'm 63 1/2 and had been struggling to begin a serious weight-loss adventure for a long time. It's SO slow, but it's SO rewarding! I'll be cheering you on from up here in N.E. Indiana!

I loved seeing the picture of you, by the way. What a beautiful setting.

Jackie said...

Hello to my Indiana friend! It's always good to hear from you Rebecca. Thank you for the encouragement. The photo was taken at our NC home-away-from home. I am back in Georgia now, but look forward to returning to that beautiful setting in the not-so-distant future. Hubby has 6 more working days until he is fully retired, and then we plan to do some traveling and spending time in NC again. I am so ready for the results of my new diet and health regiment to kick in. I know that it will be a slow go, but that's OK. I am going to do this. Hugs to you, my friend.
Love,
J.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jackie: That is a great photo of you and your parents. Thanks for sharing and remember we all age gracefully.

Jackie said...

I smile as I read this, my friend. Yes, we all do age gracefully. I'm hoping to age as gracefully as possible!
Thank you for the sweet compliment about the photo of Mama, Daddy, and me. My parents will celebrate their 65th anniversary this year (December.) Hubby and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary this summer.
Many hugs and great big smiles to you!!
J.