Wednesday, July 25, 2012

End of July - 2012

The summer has been a hot one here, but we have managed to get away to a cooler place.
We spent several weeks in our NC home. Our son and his family joined us for a week, and that was much fun for all of us.
I hiked Dream Mountain with our Granddaughter, played games and had fun with our Grandson and baby Granddaughter. I loved being with family away from the heat and the humidity of the Deep South.
Hubby and I will be returning to North Carolina again in a week or so.
Since Paul and I are both retired, we have the time to travel and to see this beautiful country we live in.
Here are a few photos that I wanted to share with you from the past month.

I took a short hike with Garrett and Lauren.
(I usually have to carry Garrett back, so I don't hike any further with him than I can carry him... :)) 

Shelby, Micah, and Lauren standing on our deck looking toward Cold Mountain, North Carolina.


Paul and Garrett looking at the bears in Cherokee, North Carolina


Lauren feeding Elvis (one of the many beautiful bears in Cherokee, NC.)

Shelby gazes at Elvis...

Lauren and I hiked to the top of  Dream Mountain (that's the mountain we live on.)
 It took us 2 hours, and I was one tired Nana, but I had promised her that I would do it, and we did it!



We head back down the mountain.
Lauren found a feather on the ground and put it in her hair.
I smiled (she is part Creek Indian, and I was happy that she was in Native American land.)


We spotted this...and both took photos of it.


At the time, I wasn't sure if it was scat or not. I'm hoping that it wasn't (ignorance can be blissful.)



I close this post with a photo I took of one of the bears we saw in Cherokee, North Carolina.


Bear hugs,
Jackie













44 comments:

Diana said...

Wow Jackie I do hope that photo was taken with a telephoto lens!!! Either that or you have a really good relationship with the bears up there, OH MY!!
Your photos are simply beautiful my friend and even more so with the grandchildren. They are really growing! I am very happy to hear that were able to escape this oppressive (110 here today) and humidity! Trust me you don't need to live in the deep south to feel it unfortunately!
I knew you where off somewhere, what a beautiful place to be, I'm so happy for all of you and that special time spent together!
Love Di ♥

suz said...

Hi Jackie - You are one delightful Nana. I'm sure the kids had a great day with you. What fun. - Karen

Craver Vii said...

"Dream Mountain." Well, that doesn't surprise me one bit. :-)

Hey, you have a way with catching good light in your photos. They're easy to see, plus it's a treat to (vicariously) hang out with your family.

Stay cool, Jackie. We had a little rain, but the temps are back to triple digits today. (sizzle)

Eddie Bluelights said...

Glad to see you back, Jackie, and loved the photos.
Hugs ~ Eddie

Sally Wessely said...

That photo of the bear is incredible. I loved the photos of your beautiful grandchildren.

Congrats on climbing that mountain! Way to go!

DJan said...

Great pictures! That bear.... wow!

Jackie said...

Thank you, sweet friend.
Yes...I have a long lens for my camera. :))
I hope that you and Jake stay cool.
Thinking of you and sending you hugs!!

Jackie said...

Sweet!! Thank you, Karen! Your comment made my day.
I love my Grands, and we have a wonderful time.
Hugs to you!

Jackie said...

Craver...Thank you so much. The light is simply in the right place at the right time, I guess! I don't think about it (except that I try not to shoot directly into it.)
I love the fact that you are with us vicariously.
You are my Brother in Christ, and I have enjoyed getting to know you through blogging.
Stay cool...So glad the rain gave you a li'l reprieve from those triple digits. I pray for more for all of us.
Hugs,
J.

Jackie said...

Hi Eddie. I'm glad that you love my photos.
I look forward to your return to blogging, but I do understand the need to take a break.
Missing you and sending you and Maria hugs!!

tainterturtles said...

Nice to see your post Jackie. It's been really hot here too in the north. Went and bought some more sun dresses so I would feel more comfortable at work. How nice you could spend time with your grandchildren. Take care

Jackie said...

Sally...I need a trophy for climbing that mountain! :)))
Hello to you! It's always nice to see you here.
Thank you for your visits and comments.
(The bear wasn't as menacing as he appears. He's simply opening his mouth for food....but he looks baaaaaad, doesn't he? :))) )
Hugs,
J.

Chatty Crone said...

Did I read somewhere you lived in GA? Sandie from Kennesaw.

Rob-bear said...

It's great to see you back, Jackie. I was wondering where you were.

Sounds like you had a grand time with the family. Tiring, but fun. That's wonderful.

I love your Bear picture, too. Looks like one of my cousins, but I'm not entirely sure.

Jackie said...

Thank you, Jan!
As I just mentioned to Sally, his "bark" is worse than his "bite"... He's simply opening his mouth to catch food the Grandchildren were feeding him (from waaaay above.)
Sending you smiles and lots of hugs.
I hope that your garden continues to do well.
I love the fact that we are able to "watch it grow."

Jackie said...

Hi Lisa.
It's been hot everywhere (well, almost everywhere here in the USA.)
I look forward to fall and winter...big time.
Glad that you have the sun dresses, and I know that you'll be much cooler in them.
Keep the pedal on your bike, girl!!
Sending you hugs and smiles.
J.

Jackie said...

Hi! Yes. :)) South Jawja.
I see that we are neighbors! :))
Howdy, neighbor!
Hubby and live in Lake Park (just outside of Valdosta.)
I don't even have to ask you if it's hot where you are. I know for sure.
Welcome...and thanks for stopping by.
Hugs,
J.

Jackie said...

Rob...I thought about you when I posted the photo of the bear on my blog!! I knew he/she (?) would be related to you somehow. I almost named him "Rob"... :)))
Yep, I did.
It's good to see you!!
Warm smiles,
J.

Maggie May said...

What lovely photos. I like them all. I love photos taken from behind people walking like that.
Your grandchildren are delightful.

The bear is a bit scary! Wouldn't want to run into one!
Love
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Suldog said...

That's one heck of a big feather! Any idea what bird it's from?

My first thought, when I saw the feeding of Evis The Bear, was, "Oh, My God! Don't stick your arm in the cage!", but then the rational part of my mind kicked in and I figured out the bears must be below where they could reach her :-)

Vicky said...

Oh Jackie- that last one made my jaw go slack-yikes! Those are some big bears! And please tell me, just where did those babies go? Those look like some growing grand babies for sure! So glad you all get this time together!!

Love and hugs to you!!

Jackie said...

Thank you, Maggie.
I wouldn't want to run into a bear either. They scare me beyond words!
I hope that you and Harry are doing well. I think of you both often. Much love to you both.
Hugs,
J.

Jackie said...

Jim...I would love to find out what kind of bird left that feather. I'll get right on it.
Regarding the photo of Lauren...Yes, the bears were many many feet below all of us. They were spoiled bears, too. I could tell that.
Sending you big hugs, my friend!!
J.

Jackie said...

Vicky....He was a teddy bear (but one never trusts a wild animal.) His mouth was open because he was catching food that was being thrown to him from above.
Our Grands are growing up too fast...sigh.
I love them beyond words.
Hugs and love to you,
J.

Dave said...

Like you Jackie I like having family around. Your grandchildren look great. It's nice when they invite us (you) to join them in doing something (like hiking) - Dave

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jackie: Fun post and I'm sure the hike was a lot of work. Your grands are wonderful. It's so fun to have them near. I love your captures of the kids and the bears.

Jackie said...

Dave...it is so nice to enjoy time away (vacation, etc.) with family. It makes it even more enjoyable to us.
I hope that you have had a good week.
Thank you for stopping by and for leaving such a nice comment.
Smiles to you,
J.

Jackie said...

Tom...Always good to see you; I love your photographs, and am always happy to see that you have stopped by to visit here.
The hike was work, but also worth it. I love my Grands!
Thank you again for your visit. It made me smile!!
Smiles,
Jackie

Eileen said...

Sweet! I love reading about your 'family time' together, and seeing your beautiful photos make a nice picture book for me! 'Almost like being there!

Ray and I have just been looking again at houses (on lakes in South Carolina, and in mountains of North Carolina), but I forgot about the bears! Yikes! And I also just read about the alligators in South Carolina! Yikes again! (I guess I'm a real NYC woman ~ muggers and gangs I'm used to reading and hearing about like it's 'old news' and an everyday occurrence, but bears and alligators scare me! How sick is that?!)
Anyway, as scary as your bear photo was, it was also amazingly beautiful! (Equally as amazing was your backdrop of mountains, and forest, and sky, and of course, also your family, especially the grands! And I especially loved the profile of Shelby, and the back of the children, I always love shots like that!)

Enjoy your beautiful family!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Jackie said...

Eileen...I love reading about your family and looking at your family photos, too! Thank you so much, my friend.
As you continue to look for houses in SC and NC, you know that I selfishly hope that NC wins out. Maybe we could get together some time. That would be wonderful!
Don't be scared of the bear photo. He was simply opening his mouth to receive a tasty treat the Grands were feeding him. He looks much fiercer than he actually is.
Thank you again for your sweet comments. I have missed you.
Hugs,
J.

Rebecca said...

I'm SO ready for a N.C. visit again! We seldom stop in Cherokee -- just drive through -- 'cause we are so close to our destination when we get there...

Jackie said...

I understand the not stopping in Cherokee, Rebecca. We don't usually stop there, but we went with the Grands, and I'm so glad that we did. I enjoyed the visit. I hope that your NC visit will be soon. Have a lovely week!!
Hugs,
J.

Unknown said...

Hi Miss Jackie! I have a post card that has been carried around in my purse for the past MONTH! I am the worst person ever! I misplaced your address. I believe the one I have is your NC residence. I will send it there. :) hugs....

Jackie said...

Hi Linda Lu! I've missed you. I will send my address to your e-mail. Warm smiles to you!!
J.

imac said...

Hello my friend, nice and enjoyable that walk.

Just retuned from 2 weeks cruise around the Baltics

Jackie said...

Stewart...So glad that you and Julie had a wonderful cruise. I'm glad that you are back. Thank you for your visits to my blog.
Hugs,
J.

Lori E said...

Lions and tigers and bears oh my! Well bears anyways. I have a joke for you and will send it via email. Relates directly to your post here.

Jackie said...

Just need to click my heels together and remember, "There's no place like home!"
I look forward to your e-mail, Lori.
Hugs and warmest smiles,
J.

Jenny Woolf said...

Ah, looks beautiful.... time with kids is so precious.

Jackie said...

Jenny...I couldn't agree with you more.
Time with our children and grandchildren are precious.
Thank you for your visit here. I look forward to chatting with you again!
Hugs,
J.

Gail said...

HI JACKIE - oh my, such lovely and fun times with family in nature. I enjoyed every detail and every view. :-)
Love Gail
peace.....

Jackie said...

Gail...so glad that you enjoyed this blog!
Thinking of you and your family, my friend.
I hope that you always feels those thoughts.
Hugs,
J.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Hi Jackie - I am back (sort of) on Clouds and Plato but not as regularly as before. We are ticking over OK with a few worries about Maria and Maggie - I will email you soon. Hope you and the family are OK. Hugs ~ Eddie

Jackie said...

Hi Eddie...I got your comment (it posted waaay above, for some reason ??) but I'm glad to see that you are back. I'll be checking your blog, of course.
Smiles,
J.