Saturday, November 3, 2012

Mr. Nikon takes a Vacation

Mr. Nikon decided to take a vacation. It knew that I was going to "wear it out" in North Carolina. It foresaw a never-ending 12-day photo opt session and muttered, "Uh uh. Nope. Not going to cooperate."  And it gave up the shutter (but not before I was able to get a few shots off.)

It died....I took it apart with my trusty tools and repaired it....(yep, Jackie-of-many-trades)...and it worked for another day! I was soooo happy.  Then, it decided to die again, and I figured I wouldn't push my luck trying to repair it again.  (My Daddy thought I could hang out my camera-repair shingle after the first repair!! :)))  )

Thankfully, iPhone was within my reach, and I took the remaining shots using it.
I'll share Nikon shots and iPhone shots with you here.

In the meantime, I'm going to take my camera to Jacksonville, Florida, and have it repaired.
I look forward to its return very soon. It's hard to be without my camera.

Here are a few shots of the North Carolina autumn colors (using the Nikon and the iPhone.)


Nikon f/5.3 


Nikon f/6.3

Nikon f/4.5


The above shot is where my camera decided to take its last breath....sigh.
 From this point on, I was relegated to use the iPhone.

iPhone

I took this one out of the front windshield of our car; this was the drive down the mountain on the day we left North Carolina.  Hurricane Sandy brought beautiful snow to tell us goodbye before we left the autumn wonderland.

iPhone

The rhododendrons were dusted with snow.
You have to remember that I'm a south Georgia girl...there is no snow where I live. 
I loved every snowflake!


Smiles to you from Jackie









20 comments:

Jinksy said...

Snow and autumn gold - don't often see that combination... :)

DJan said...

Gorgeous shots! I am continually amazed at the quality of pictures I see taken on iPhones. And here's hoping your camera will be fixed good as new very soon now. The snowy road is beautiful. :-)

Vicky said...

Beautiful photos Jackie and I am so glad you got to have the experience of a little snow! I got to eat at Cheesecake Factory in Boise, and I thought of you in Jacksonville at the very same place :)

tainterturtles said...

Jackie, do you realize you experienced snow before us here in Wisconsin? I couldn't believe your snow photos. Sorry to hear about your mom's health problems, but I'm glad your mom and dad could visit in North Carolina. The mountains are soooooo beautiful. Good to see you posting again.

Tamara said...

Oh Jackie! I do hope Mr. Nikon gets feeling better, but in the meantime, the iPhone is a wonderful tool, too! The pix are just beautiful.

Gail said...

HI JACKIE - I love your pictures, Nikon, phone or otherwise. And the snowy scenes are so gorgeous. I am so happy to "see" you, it's been a while. Hope all is well w/your Mama and Daddy. Sending hugs and prayers to you and yours.
Love Gail
peace......

Diana said...

I love the snow too Jackie and I grew up in Chicago, we had lots of it, LOL!! Your camera and IPhone both take beautiful photos. I hope having the camera fixed won't be too costly for you. I need a better one. I keep hinting every year for Christmas but my kids don't hear me!!
It looks so beautiful there in N.C. I still hope to get there one day.
I miss your posts and beautiful photos, don't stay gone too long O.K.?
Love and a HUGE HUG!!! Love Di ♥

Lady Di Tn said...

If we are true children at heart, then we do love the snow. The last good snowfall we had here, I lay down and made a snow angel. I know you miss your camera as I am sure it fits like a comfortable pair of gloves in your hand. But you did good with the I phone. I marvel at the fact that you would attempt a repair as I NO NOTHING ABOUT machinery small or big. I panic and call for HELP> Peace

Suldog said...

The second shot, of the tree, is magnificent. I also like the road that goes off into the distance (I always want to walk to the end and see what's around the bend!)

Cindy said...

Wow!!!! They are all beautiful. Makes me homesick for North Carolina and I've never even been there. You do an awesome job with the iPhone Jackie. Not sure I would have known the difference if you hadn't said. I left you a comment on my last post. Glad you are back!!

Happy Monday,
Cindy

Craver Vii said...

It's unusual to see the blending of two seasons like this. I'm thinking especially of the snowy rhododendrons with the brilliantly colored fall leaves in the background.

I hope your camera is repaired soon, and for a reasonable cost. It is heartbreaking to spend time without my camera. It's like a close friend in a way.

Patty said...

Some really great shots. Thanks for your visit.

imac said...

Magic moments with both my friend, Hope you soon join the Nikon family soon tho.

Rebecca said...

It doesn't matter WHAT you take it with - your view is incredibly gorgeous!

suz said...

Whoa! Great photos. And I am in awe of you for fixing your camera. I'm not too good with machinery of any kind and am amazed at anyone who can do anything with that stuff. Also enjoyed the post and pictures of your folks return to North Carolina. May you all be well and enjoy each other for a super long time. - Karen

Maggie May said...

Magnificent photos taken with your phone.What truly beautiful colours.
That was very ambitious of you to try and repair the camera and I do hope it can be repaired successfully.
Hope you are all well......
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Sally Wessely said...

These photos were just fantastic. Love them. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy said...

Hi Jackie, what wonderful photos. They are beautiful. I like the one you took from the vehicle the best. I hope you are well. think of you often. We have lots of snow her. have gotten over a foot in the last three days....glad you enjoyed your snow.

jack69 said...

Jackie, this is jackie. Great shots, That one where the Nikon died is a beauty. Love all the pictures. And thanks for stopping by the shipslog. I fussed for years that daddy & Mom would name me jackie, but after 73 yrs, I have learned to liive with it. hahahahaha
Enjoy your retirement, we are certainly trying!
Jack & Sherry

Lew said...

Hope your Nikon's rest and recuperation are swift! But the quality of cell phone and small cameras is quite good these days. Love the Carolina mountains. I have been on many like you found. Western Maryland got a lot of snow, but none here yet.