Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Bat House (Jan. 2016)



My Daddy built a bat house, and Paul and Daddy put it up on the edge of a pond behind Daddy's house on Friday.
Here are a few photos.
Daddy will be 90 on his birthday in August. We are so blessed that he has the health to be able to design, construct, and put up this home for bats.
I am blessed beyond measure with a wonderful husband who loves to spend time with and help my Daddy with his many projects. 
Daddy thinks of him as the son he never had.

 This shows the inside of the bat house before it is placed inside the temperature-controlled exterior.
Daddy worked about a year designing and building this.

Bat house: inside and outside...(and the first hole is almost dug for the 3 posts.)




I took an "underside" photo so you could see the perch that the bats attach to before going into their domain. (Yep. Daddy cut each little groove you see inside this structure using his table saw....)


One can tell from Daddy's smile that he is so proud of this project.

Later in the afternoon, Daddy and Paul went back to the bat house and put the top portion on it.

I told Daddy that from the road, people will probably think this is some kind of rocket waiting for its launch.

74 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Wow! That's the mansion of bat houses. Is the bat population endangered there like it is here? There is a disease killing them here.

How blessed you are to still have your dad!

Jackie said...

Marie...I am blessed beyond measure.
Regarding the bat population... I don't think it is endangered here.
Daddy just loves all creatures great and small. You can see in some of the photos that he has several duck boxes around his pond.
I love to sit nearby and watch the wildlife. Today, I saw a bald eagle, a red-tailed hawk, and many many birds. Imagine all the ones I didn't see.
Daddy simply loves to watch the wildlife...and help take care of them.
Hugs to you,
Jackie

jack69 said...

Neat Great engineering, I have never heard of a Bat house. Interesting pictures of the progress!
Thanks.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Oh my dear friend Jackie,
I am grinning from ear-to-ear here in Spokane. I love learning new things and I never, ever have even heard of a bat house before! Thanks for the special photographs and I love the one with your Daddy showing off his work of art!
How wonderful that your Daddy had the strength and stamina to build this. And to share it with Paul, and have them be like father and son, well... it just doesn't get much better than that! You have been on my mind and in my heart and I am just so grateful for your friendship, dear Jackie.

Sending you loves, hugs and prayers from Spokane!
Your friend Linda

Jackie said...

Glad you like the pictures, Jack.
Bats are very useful creatures....especially down South.
Each bat will eat about 2000 insects per day.
That's a lot of mosquito control.

Jackie said...

Hello, my friend. I feel the love, prayers, and hugs from Spokane.
I know that my friend Linda has me on her mind and heart, and I thank you for that.
Bat houses are very practical. Bats need a place to live, and if one provides a place for them, that is a win/win. They will tend to not roost in and around one's home, AND they eat a ton of mosquitoes. We have bunches of mosquitoes here. (Did I mention that i HATE mosquitoes!)
Love you,
J.

Anvilcloud said...

How fun is that? He is blessed with good genes, not only to live long but to apparently be in good health both physically and mentally.

Linda said...

I have never heard of a bat house, wink. Thank you for educating me (was reading your comments)---have a beautiful Sunday, friend.

LilliStJohn said...

What a really great idea. This bat house will definitely get 5 stars from its visitors. WOW, your Daddy is a clever man.

Maggie May said...

I like the idea of a bat house...... and yes, if I'd glanced at it from the road I would have thought it was a rocket or some kind of beacon!
Maggie x

Jackie said...

He has the best genes, ever!
Love my Daddy!!!

Jackie said...

Never heard of a bat house? I smile....
Methinks you might have. (wink back...)
Yes. The bats are helpful.
I send you thankful hugs for the good wishes, Linda.
Love,
J.

Jackie said...

I'm hoping that come spring, the bats will LOVE the new addition....and will inhabit it.
Can't wait to see!
Thank you for your sweet comments and visit.
Hugs to you,
Jackie

Jackie said...

That's what I thought, Maggie. Looks like a spacecraft of some kind.
Sooooo glad to see Sam is back to blogging again. Can't wait to read his blog.
Love you, my sweet friend.
J.

Susie said...

Wonderful that you still have your father. I love that bat house idea....they sure will eat mosquitoes. That is a good thing. Blessings to all of you, xoxo,Susie

Jackie said...

Very blessed to have my Daddy and my Mama.
They have been married for almost 69 years.
Thank YOU for your visits here and for your friendship, Susie.
Love,
Jackie

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Dear Jackie,
Thanks for your caring and helpful advice on my last blog post. Only a good friend would
know exactly what I needed to do. Great church service and I came home and took a restoring nap.
I'll keep you posted about this week! I am GRATEFUL for you, sweet friend! I'll take a deep breath.
Love, Linda

DJan said...

I LoVE this little bat cave/house. I hope you'll be able to put some pictures on here once they take up residence. You are truly fortunate to have your father in your life, and so wonderfully healthy, too. :-)

Jackie said...

Remember to take care of you. I'm glad you were able to take a nap, Linda. Continued prayers for you and Bert.
Love,
Jackie

Jackie said...

I hope to be able to post photos of the bats when they find this home.
Yes, I am sooooo blessed to have my Daddy. I love him!!
Thank you for your kind visits here. They mean a lot to me.

tainterturtles said...

Oh my gosh Jackie, I am so proud of your daddy. Please tell him that we are PROUD of him for building the bat house!!! And to think he is 90, wow. Bike man and I monitor bats here in Wisconsin....we love our bats. We also have a bat house in our yard too. We've been monitoring bats for about 4 years now since we are helping the DNR monitor for White-Nose syndrome...a fungal disease affecting our northern bats. I'll show Bike man your photos of your daddy's bat house. Thanks for sharing this Jackie.

Jackie said...

Lisa... How exciting that you and your husband monitor the bats for possible disease.
Daddy has been trying to check out books from the local library on bats....to no avail.
I told him that I would print articles from the internet for him to read.
If you have any suggestions of good publications on bats, he would be thrilled to try and find them. He loves to read about them and learn more....
Sending you much love,
Jackie

Sylvia said...

Yes Jackie I live in West Central Georgia, but was born in South Georgia. Thanks for your visit and sweet comment on my blog.
I have never seen a bat house like that, my it is large! Hope you get some tenants soon.
Your daddy is blessed to be healthy at that age. God is good!

Jackie said...

Hi Sylvia. I was happy to see the flowers on your blog. I knew immediately that you had to be a "Jawja" girl, too! :)
Beautiful photos....
Thank you for your visit here.
It is lovely weather here this week. The temperature right now is 80 degrees (F)....and we are loving it.
Hugs to you,
J.

Lady Di Tn said...

Need to post signs "Insects Beware". LOL
I have a bat house but your Daddy's is not a house but a Bat village. What a very cool project.
Too bad you cannot hear the comments of what people think it is as they drive by.
Peace

Sparky said...

Now that is one first class bat house! We built one, much smaller, ages ago and finally took it down. Couldn't keep the Red Wasps out of it (nasty bruts). I'm gonna show this to Hubby to see if we can duplicate it. I love bats, or any wild bird, really. They eat insects and are just fun to watch.
Hope your day is blessed. ~:)

Jackie said...

Hopefully, the bats will do their best to feast on insects (especially these pesky South Georgia mosquitoes!)
Daddy is looking forward to finding bats in the house...
Sometimes it takes a couple of years, but you know that in his heart, he's hoping THIS SPRING! :)

Jackie said...

Thank you so very much, Sparky!
It's interesting to find out that a few of my blogging friends already have bat houses.
I would love to pass on any tips and information to Daddy from any of you that could give him any regarding his bat house.
I hope that you had a blessed day, too, my friend.
Love you,
Jackie

Rebecca said...

Love, love, LOVE this post! Seeing your father so active & the relationship between your father and Paul parallels my own experiences, for which I am so thankful....

Now when it comes to bat houses, I have absolutely NO experience! How fascinating.

Jackie said...

We have no experience either, Rebecca, but we are learning.
We want to take care of and help preserve our bat population.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Jackie, my dear friend,
Your very special card and wonderful note arrived right on February 5th, my birthday!!!
Perfect timing. :)Thank you for your friendship and all of your prayers! Amy and Annora Grace are
still hanging in there. Amy asked me to especially thank you for praying for her and her baby.
God is so good, all the time! Love you and I'm sending prayers your way!! Love, Linda

Jackie said...

I didn't know it was your birthday. I felt led to send you and Amy and Bert a card....just because.
And, God is Good (Great)....and I feel that the card was perfectly timed by Him.
Glad that you had a lovely birthday.
Continued prayers for your Amy and for Annora Grace and for Bert.
Love you,
Jackie

Gail said...

Hi Jackie - great pictures of a great project. Bats are amazing and so important to nature's balance. I love that your Daddy is so able to take on this project - blessings galore. Hugs to you and your Mama and Daddy.
Love Gail
Peace......

p.s. - we are finding our rhythm and balance here on Mount Hope in our homestead - each day it fels a bit more like "home"

Jackie said...

Hi Gail!
So good to see you, and I am happy that you are happy in your new home. I am going to send you a card soon.
I wish you and those you love all the best....and continued happiness, my friend.
Hugs to you,
Jackie

Hilary said...

How very impressive. Your father is incredibly talented and able. I love that he built a house for one of my (many) favourite creatures.

Jackie said...

I'm sooooo glad they are among your favorites! We need to protect them, for sure.
Thank you for your kind visits, Hilary.
Love
Jackie

Wendy said...

My fav too!! Love the little creatures (besides they eat mosquitos!). Your Dad is amazing! Love this post - oh, it kind of does look like a rocket, but who cares?

Jackie said...

Yes and YES , Wendy!!
They eat a ton of mosquitoes. YEA!!!
My hubby is putting a bat house up near our pond, now. Daddy built it, also. It is different...and we can't wait to see our first inhabitants.
Thank you so much for your kind visit here.
Love,
Jackie

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi Jackie,
Sending you loves, hugs and prayers this morning. Last night our whole family got to go to see a 3D ultrasound
of Annora Grace. It was such an incredible blessing to see her moving inside Amy. We are still praying that the placenta moves so that Amy and Annora Grace are in a less dangerous situation. Your continuing prayers mean the world to me! May you have such a blessed day knowing God's love and presence in your life!
Love, Linda

suz said...

Wow! What a great bat condo. (Too big for a mere house unless we're talking about a Trump Tower.) It would be wonderful for him to have inhabitants by spring. Love the photos. Take care my friend. - Karen

Jackie said...

What wonderful news about the ultrasound of your precious little one. Continued prayers for both Amy and Annora Grace. Thank you for sharing this news with me.
Sending love to you and those you love,
Jackie

Jackie said...

Karen. Love it!!
I showed this to Daddy. He's going to name his bat house Trump Tower!
When it is officially painted, I will send you a photo.
Love you sweet friend!
J.

Eddie Bluelights said...

What a talented dad and hubby you have.
A great design and lovely to see they are like father and son . . . :)
They come up with such interesting ideas . . .

Hope Mamma is o as well . . . Eddie x

Jackie said...

Hi Eddie. Yes. I think my Daddy and Paul are very talented. I'm so proud of them.
Thank you for asking about Mama. She continues to do well. We are very blessed!
Sending smiles across the pond to you.
J.

Sally Wessely said...

Your father is quite an interesting man. How wonderful that he could create and construct this bat house. As for me, I wouldn't go anywhere near the bat house. I am scared to death of bats, but I think it's great that your father is providing a place for them.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi Jackie, my dear friend,
Happy Valentines day! I thought of you tonight as Amy came over and we prayed for Amy's health and for Annora.
Amy is so grateful to you and others for your prayers! It brings her great comfort. I am so grateful for you , Jackie, for your friendship, caring and most of all prayers. You are a treasure. What could I pray about for you? Pleaselet me know.

God Bless!
Love, Linda

Jackie said...

Sally....I understand your concerns about the bat house since you are afraid of bats.
Thank you so much for the kind visits and always wonderful friendship.
Yes. Daddy is creative, energetic, and amazing. I love my Daddy.
Sending you hugs,
Jackie

Jackie said...

Hello my friend. I'm so glad to know that Amy and Annora are continuing to do well, and my prayers are that Amy has a beautiful and miraculous delivery, and that Annora will continue to be the blessing to all of you that she is now. I know that the Lord will take care of any and all problems that Amy faces during her delivery.
Thank you so much for your prayers for me.
We are doing well, and I thank you for remembering me in you daily/nightly prayers. I feel them. I promise. I feel them.
Love you so much....
J.

Wendy said...

Hi Jackie - just popping by to say hello. I was in Florida recently - wish I could have paid you a visit (at least I think you're in Florida). Well perhaps someday. :-) After reading the posts below, I'm happy to hear that Amy and her little one seem to be thriving (we'll just keep them in our prayers, as it seems to be working). Hugs

Jackie said...

Hi Wendy!
How wonderful that you were in Florida. I hope that you had a lovely visit.
It is so good to know that you thought of me. I live about 15 minutes from the Florida line. I would guess that you probably were very near to my home if you traveled I-75 to Florida.
Hugs to you, my friend!!
Thank you for your continued prayers for our blogging friend's daughter and unborn baby girl.

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie! remember me? Little ole me, Southern Utah girl Linda? For some reason I decided to look at blogger today which I haven't done in over a year. We got new computers, my blog got messed up and not sure how to fix it to look right but I couldn't wait to see all my old friends blogs and catch up!
OH MY GOODNESS it is so fun! I need to write down all that has been going on in my life. I loved blogging because it was such a sweet diary. It has been years! What a book! Hope to hear back Jackie!

Jackie said...

Linda!! I'll never forget you!!
How've you been??
Miss you bunches.
I want to catch up.
Sending you love and great big hugs.
Love you, Linda Lou....!!
J.

NanaDiana said...

I don't have a direct email for you (that I can find)...anyway--thanks for popping in and leaving a comment that you are praying for my hubby. Thanks so much- xo Diana

Jackie said...

You are welcome Diana.
I sent you an email....
Hugs,
J.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

My dear friend, Jackie,
How grateful I am for your prayers for Amy, Annora Grace, and our family. God is using you in such
amazing ways with a real prayer ministry. Your constancy and loyalty to pray warms my heart. Your
comments, and reminders that you are praying, mean so much to me.

God is so great and His love is everlasting. No matter the challenge, He is there with us.
Lots of tears today, but we are continuing to pray and ask for His grace and guidance.
We hold on to HOPE because He loves us so!

Please know that I am praying for you and your family as well.
Loves and hugs and prayers!
Linda

Jackie said...

Linda...know that you and your family are in our prayers.
Feel the love and the prayers from your faith family. Always.
Love,
Jackie

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Jackie,
We just heard about the extreme weather alert in your area. We are praying right this minute for your safety
and the safety of your family and all who live in the wake of this storm.
Sending you loves and hugs and prayers.
Love you, dear friend!
Linda

Jackie said...

Thank you, so much, Linda....
Love,
J.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Good morning, dear friend!
Just a quick praise report after Amy's doctor's appointment (ultrasound) yesterday. Annora Grace's heartbeat was strong and she is growing! The huge cyst discovered on Amy's ovary, in the first ultrasound, is completely gone.
And there is a small amount of movement of the placenta from over her cervix. More is needed, but for the first time there is some change. Thank you, dear Jackie, for your prayers! Please keep praying for more movement.
We are encouraged and I loved it when Amy told the doctor that so many people were praying for her and Annora and that's why things were improving! :) :)Keeping you in my prayers this morning, Jackie!

Loves, hugs and prayers!
Linda

Jackie said...

What wonderful news!
Thank you for sharing this with me. I have been wondering how the ultrasound went. I'm so thankful.
Thank you to God for taking precious care of both of them.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi, dear Jackie,
Praying for you tonight and feeling so grateful for your friendship and prayers!
You are truly a gift from God!

Loves and hugs and prayers!
Linda

Hilary said...

Thinking of you and hoping that all is okay in your world. xo

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi dear friend,
Just checking in to let you know that you have been in my thought and prayers. You may be out
of town, I'm just hoping all is well. Love you, Jackie, and I am so grateful for you.
God Bless! Linda

Rebecca said...

Missing you, my friend. Hope everything is OK.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi my dear friend!
Just appreciating you this morning and I am holding you and your family up in prayer!
I'm so grateful for your friendship and thank God every day for you.
God Bless!
Love, Linda

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Dearest Jackie,
Holy Week is here and it's almost Good Friday and then Easter. You have been on mind and in my heart.
I thought of you today, and I was just filled with gratitude for your friendship. It seems God has a way of putting just the perfect people in our path during certain seasons of our life. You have been one of those people for me!
Your words are a healing balm in the midst of hard times as God uses you to bring His love and comfort to others.
You radiate His peace and love and consistency. That means the world to me.

I wanted to give you a quick update about Amy and Annora Grace, as her birth is about a month away. The doctors have decided to try and let Amy deliver Annora and not do a C-section unless there is an emergency. They acknowledge that this is a risk, given all of the complications, but there are no easy options. Amy is on full bed rest at this point, trusting the Lord and yet nervous and scared. Thank you for keeping them in your prayers.

May this Easter weekend bless you and your family, dear friend.
Sending you loves and hugs and lots of prayers that you might know HIs love fully today!
Your friend, Linda



Patty said...

Did your Father get any bats into his new home for them? Hoping you and your family had a nice Easter. I am feeling lots better today then last week. Assuming I've passed the stone, they didn't send me home with a strainer.

Jackie said...

Patty....
So glad you are feeling better.
I've been thinking of you and hoping that you passed the kidney stone.
Regarding Daddy's bat house, as of the first week in March, there have been no bats.
We all have been in North Carolina since then, and we just got back home the day after Easter. I hope that bats found the bat house while we were gone. I will update soon.
Sending you hugs, my friend.
Love,
Jackie

Jackie said...

And you, my friend are a treasure to me.
Praying for your Amy and Annora Grace.
Always,
J.

Jackie said...

Hilary....
You are so kind. Thank you so much for this note.
We have been away for a while.
Thank you, again, for thinking of me.
Love,
J.

Jackie said...

Linda....
I'm thankful for each prayer....each thought.
I'm more than thankful for your friendship.
Love you,
Jackie

Jackie said...

Hi Rebecca....
I thought of you while we were in Waynesville.
I passed by the store that I KNOW that you would love to be shopping in.
The parking lot was completely full, or we would have stopped.
Thank you for thinking of me. That means so much to me.
Love,
J.

Jackie said...

What a wonderful prayer warrior you are for me and to me, Linda.
I am ever grateful for you.
Love you, my friend.
Jackie

Jackie said...

As the days and weeks approach for Amy's delivery, you can count on the fact that I am praying for both of them.
Thank you for keeping me posted, Linda.
I pray for them every day....
As Amy continues to rest, please give her a hug for me and tell her that prayers are being lifted to our Father on her behalf and on Annora Grace's behalf.
Love,
Jackie