Daddy turned 90 this past summer.
My Daddy was only a lad when he joined the Navy.
Pearl Harbor, USA, had just been bombed, and he (like many others) wanted to help protect our great land.
He served aboard this ship: The USS Appalachian.
Daddy was a sight setter for an aircraft gun.
He has shared stories with me about harrowing times aboard ship, but also has shared with me that he wouldn't have traded his experiences with his fellow comrades.
Daddy was involved in the invasion of the Philippines, and was also in Hiroshima and Nagasaki after the Atomic Bomb was dropped.
He is and always will be my hero.
I love you, Daddy.
Jackie

22 comments:
You have such a great hero in your family, Jackie! We will remember them!
Thank you sweetly, Marie.
That means so much to me.
Love,
Jackie
He is indeed a hero.
Maggie x
God bless you sweet dad, Jackie!!! My father was a medic in the war and has been gone many years. I miss him every day of life. I am glad you have had all these years with your dad. I was 21 when dad passed away from Parkinson's Disease. xo Diana
Cherish those stories. Your Dad was was definitely a hero. They were all so young then. I am thankful for them all.
Lisa
Thank you, dear Maggie.
He is my hero....always.
Love you,
Jackie
I'm so sorry that you lost your Dad when you were so young.
I am thankful for his service as a medic. We are so blessed to have those in our lives who sacrificed and served.
I pray for cures for so many dreadful diseases...among them is Parkinson's.
Alzheimers, Parkinsons, Cancer, and so many more diseases take those we love all too soon.
Thank you for your sweet visit and comments, my friend.
Sending you love,
J.
Thank you so much, Lisa!
They were so young. It's hard to even fathom what they went through.
I am and always will be forever grateful.
Hugs to you,
Jackie
Jackie, Its' wonderful that you can know your father's stories. Keep listening to them. I wish I had asked more of my parents. Blessings for a great weekend, xoxo, Susie
Thank you, Susie.
I need to record him as he shares events with me. I am always so eager to hear him, that I either forget to record, or I don't want to interrupt or disturb the moment.
I hope that you have a restful and peaceful weekend.
Love,
Jackie
Yep Jackie, he is a hero of mine and I haven't met him. I had brothers, uncles and cousins on ships in the Pacific. Sherry's brother was wounded on Iwo Jima and YES I admire all those men who have served, volunteers and those who answered the call and did not run away.
Love to your dad, how wonderful to have the WWII vet alive and able to tell about it.
Thank you, Jack.
And thank you to Sherry's brother for his service.
I love my Daddy....for so many reasons.
I thank all of our veterans...and especially on this special day.
Hugs,
Jackie
Wow! Thankful for the courage and dedication of your father and all who served. How wonderful that he remembers and can tell his stories. Yes! Write them down. My father turns 40 the end of this month. We ARE blessed.
He sure had some experiences in a short time.
Your daddy was a real hero, Jackie, and I agree with what jack69 said. You are so fortunate to still have him in your life. Both of your parents are wonderful people who I know through your blog. :-)
Thank you, Jan.
I am thinking of you and yours and hoping that your fall is splendid.
You live in a beautiful part of our country.
Sending you much love,
Jackie
Some I'm sure he's never talked about.
Hugs from South Georgia!
J.
Rebecca....You are a marvelous daughter.
I send you an extra hug this evening.
We are indeed blessed.
Love you, friend....
Jackie
Oh my dear friend, Jackie,
What a wonderful post about your amazing Daddy. I am so thankful for his service to our
country, and I am so grateful he is 90 and in good health! Praise God! What a blessing
he is in your life and the life of your family. Like you, my Dad served in WWII and he
spent three years in Italy working on aircraft and in the midst of the fighting that went on.
My Mom and Dad were engaged when Pear Harbor was bombed and newly married
when my Dad went overseas. I am so proud of his service to our country and he is, and
will always be, a hero in my eyes.
Thank you for sharing about your Daddy and a Happy Veterans Day to him and all
of our Veterans.
Loves, hugs and prayers to you, my dear friend!
Love, Linda
As always, dear Linda, you lift me up. You keep my heart smiling.
I am so glad we met.
As I read about your Dad serving in WWII, my eyes get moist because I have such love and affection for each and every one who served or serves to protect and defend our great land.
Thank you to your dear Dad for what he sacrificed as he went overseas in service to our country.
You are in my prayers. I covet yours, and I know that I have them.
Your Sister in Christ...and friend for always,
Jackie
Hi Jackie, My heartfelt gratitude to your daddy for his service to our Country. God bless you all during the upcoming holidays. I am so thankful to have "found" you again....I saw your comment on Susie's blog yesterday.
xoxo
Thank you, Mildred.
Sending you love....
J.
Post a Comment