Friday, December 14, 2012

just want to talk....

We have a secure system at the elementary public schools here (South Georgia, USA)...double doors that one has to be buzzed through to get into the main corridor, requirement of a name tag by ANY person in the halls who is not school personnel, school  personnel are required to wear photo identification badges on lanyards,  local law enforcement and school personnel monitor and enforce the name tag/badge requirement, there is a sheriff's deputy/deputies on all our elementary, middle school and high school campuses at all times, all the exterior doors are always locked...always.

 I could go on and on and name other security measures that we as stakeholders of our schools have undertaken to ensure the safety of the children, staff, and faculty. But you get the idea. We love our children and will go to the nth degree to make sure that they have a safe learning environment.

I taught school here in this county for 33+ years. After I retired and went back to the elementary school at which I had taught for all those years to eat lunch with my precious grandchild, I had to sign into the computer system, get a name tag, and be buzzed through those locked double doors at the entrance. There are and never will be ANY exceptions to those security features. Not even for an old retired school teacher like myself who wants to go in for only a "skinny minute" to see or chat with my former co-workers.

No exceptions.

I like that.
I respect that.

 I know that it is for the good and the safety of our children and school personnel in our public schools.

But,  I'm wondering if even  that would have been enough to stop this sicko that killed  those precious children and faculty members at the Connecticut elementary school today.

He was the son of a faculty member, and probably could have signed in, gotten a name tag, could have been buzzed through locked security doors and would have entered the building regardless of the tightest security.

Perhaps the only security feature missing in the above scenario is a metal detector (much like we have at the local county courthouse here.)

I agree with one of my Facebook friends who said that the world is going  ___ insane. I left out an adverb, but you can choose one that fits there, I'm sure.

I'm feeling angry this evening....and greatly saddened..

I called my Grandchildren this afternoon. I talked to each of them on the phone.
I love them beyond words.
The thought that someone could enter their safe place of learning, harm them or kill them is incomprehensible to me.

Unspeakable....

This retired elementary school teacher, mother, and grandmother has a heavy heart tonight.
I send you smiles through tears.
I just wanted to talk some more.
Thank you for listening.

Love,
Jackie

6 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Thanks Jackie. I'm sure this whole scenario of today's shooting is very disturbing to you since you worked in a school. I'm feeling incredibly sad tonight....school is suppose to be a safe place.

What's happening to our world? I'm glad you called your grandchildren. Bless our children.

DJan said...

I am in the same place. As I wake today, I remembered that I awoke in the middle of the night with tears of sadness, remembering this incident, wondering how people find the courage to go on after losing their precious children. I cannot put it aside and distract myself. I know, I'm trying...

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Thank you for sharing your words with us, my Dear.

Chatty Crone said...

Thanks for your feelings - I know mine match yours. Praying for Newtown.

suz said...

Oh, Jackie, this has been such a horrible time for the whole country. I worked as a speech pathologist for many years, with two schools each year to service. Then I just parked, pulled out my stuff and walked in through one of many doors there. Now, it is so different. Necessary, for sure, but different. And yet, it never seems to be enough. All we can do is pray, not just for us, but for the lost souls who pursue the madness, praying that there is intervention BEFORE a trgedy.

May you have all the hugs and good thoughts you need, any time you need them. - Karen

Craver Vii said...

I'm listening, Jackie. I hear you.